Skip to main content

WHERE IT ALL BEGAN


If the title of this blog sounds melodramatic, even Poe-esque, that's kind of the idea. Metaphor plays to the right side of the brain, the creative side. My main point is that, once in one, a graveyard is a hard place to get out of, and so it is with Teaching English as a Foreign Language. I should know, I stumbled into the TEFL graveyard a baker's dozen years ago at a time when my contemporaries were chasing their dreams and hatching their lifeplans. Rather than swim off in search of adventure and distant, unimaginable horizons, I made the unconscious decision to tread some water for a decade or two.

Recently I have come to the conclusion that it's easier to leave organised crime than it is to leave TEFL. Once a TEFL teacher always a TEFL teacher, give me a man and I'll show you the TEFL teacher. But there is hope. Buddhists say the art of living is to totally accept suffering. Drowning isn't supposed to be half as bad if you stop struggling (yeah, like the person who survived to write that one knows...), so whilst in a graveyard why not sit down, crack open a can of Special Brew and enjoy the dark and the silence for a while?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOOLING WITH SCHOOLING

One of the commonest figures to be found within TEFL is the aspiring administrator. This is a teacher who, often drained by years of repetitive, poorly remunerated clowning around in the classroom, seeks a position managing other teachers, such as Director of Studies (aptly and attractively known as "Doss"), from which they can sit in an imaginary TEFL director’s chair smoking a cigar, bellowing, “CUT!” and enjoying not having to pull a linguistic rabbit out of a hat twelve times a day, five days a week. I include myself within this TEFL subgenre, although my past experiences of administration have left me with an odd yearning to get back into the classroom and be king of my own modest sandcastle. In 2005, whilst I was working in HR at a local factory, my Brazilian friend Bert and I decided to start our own school. I had recently managed to wriggle out of a honey trap I’d set for myself, when I offered to give a free English course to my colleagues in the factory’s Training a...

TEFL ANTHEMS VOL. I

An interesting debate over at ELT World in answer to the question, Are your students learning anything? has got me all reflective. Many rock songs are claimed by religious maniacs to include subliminal messages when played backwards or by missing every sixth word or summat, but others are more easily deciphered. As TEFL anthems go, perhaps one of the most memorably haunting has to be Dave Gilmour/Roger Waters' bitterly ironic collaboration reflecting on TEFL one-to-one classes being taught abroad , Wish You Were Here : How I wish, how I wish you were here. We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl, Year after year, Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears. Wish you were here. As TEFL mongers we often feel like we're in a fish bowl, year after year , not least because the majority of our students exhibit the retention capacities of the goldfish. After painstakingly explaining that we use the preposition to after various verbs, the ...

NO MORE A-CUSSIN'

In an effort to rid himself of the habit of using foul language at the slightest provocation , a Facebook chum recently asked for suggestions for harmless expressions he could use in front of his Gran and her bingo clique during moments of high stress, astonishment and/or extreme disappointment. I weighed in with, " Crikey! " and, " Great Scott! " Please feel free to add your suggestions, and help to make the world a tiny bit less like a trucker's stopover in Eindhoven .