Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Tuesday 2 October 2007

DAVID'S A GOLIATH

The affable gent in the picture with the grin as wide as the brim of his hat is none other than David, tavern keeper at the rather splendid David’s English Teaching World. Judging by the vast scope and sheer ambition of his network of blogs, I imagine he lives in an extinct volcano on a remote South Pacific atoll, as the fellow clearly courts English Teaching World domination. He seems to spend a good deal of his time philanthropically promoting all TEFL-related blogs in the hemisphere, including my own humble jumble sale of shaky wisdom and myopic insights, garnered from over a decade spent wandering, with no little wondering.

What is refreshing about the big man is his willingness to give equal column inches to both the determined “TEFL is a serious career” crowd and the irreverant, back seat of the bus “TEFL is a lot like skiffle” splinter group (of which I am the self-appointed Brown Owl.) We should, I feel in my bones, be distrustful of anybody who seeks to attach a brightly coloured, Windows XP interface to TEFL, accentuating the positive and conveniently ignoring the darker side. After all, in working in TEFL, we are neither guaranteeing our sainthood nor doing the devil’s bidding – like every job, it has its ups and downs, its moments of low farce and genuine, heartwarming pleasure.

So, if you're busily looking for the TEFL lowdown, or even a TEFL hoedown, be sure to swing by David’s empire – just avoid Oddjob and be careful not to fall into his shark tank on the way out...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've really gotta change that picture. Thanks for the kind words and keep up the good work.

Expect a detailed post on the Graveyard any time soon...

David V.

4 October 2007 at 07:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Er, as promised...

http://elt-world.blogspot.com/2007/10/blogs-brazil-south-america-tefl.html

4 October 2007 at 09:21  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home