Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Thursday 23 August 2007

DO YOU HAVE A VALID POETIC LICENCE, SIR?

I' m delighted to report that an ex-colleague has been in touch regarding this blog. Delighted because it means at least one person outside my immediate family has actually read what I'm scribbling. She kindly pointed out a number of factual inaccuracies regarding A, star of the previous post, "From Russia With Gloves". Being lazy, rather than rewrite the story, I am happy to put the record straight as follows:

"...I would like to correct some of the stuff about that the girl who dyed her hair and went for the short skirts. She was actually from Azerbaijan and for me the funniest thing (oh no, not the funniest - there were so many moments) was when she came with her Dad - and looked all sweet and innocent - sitting in the chair with her knees together and her hands clasped - in an outfit that resembled Alice in Wonderland (hair band and all)... Dad sat there explaining about his daughter - I am not sure what he was really saying but obviously stuff about looking after her and protecting her in her innocence. Anyway the Dad left the country and within 2 days she had converted her wardrobe to all the voluptuous stuff, cut and dyed her hair in a Marilyn Monroe style, and started looking for a boyfriend.

"Also, do you remember that she never concentrated in class but spent the time pouting in her mirror touching up her make up? After several weeks or months of her becoming more and more extreme in her behaviour I then had reports of her wondering the streets and we became concerned that she was almost verging on prostitution, although she wouldn't have seen it that way... so I called her into my office and said to her : " 'A' I have heard reports of you meeting up with men, and I know that in fact you are not really looking for sex, but love, so you must be really careful. No, says 'A' - I like sex!"

So there you have it, truth battering fiction to a bloody pulp once again. Thanks for the input, JLH!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home