Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Tuesday 11 September 2007

LET THEM EAT BREAD AND COLESLAW

The first murmurings of what was to become known as The Summer of Discontent were evident at a school barbecue early in my tenure as Social Organiser. As I was busily stoking up the fires and unpacking the meat products, I noticed a group of mainly German-speaking students had gathered in a huddle on the far side of the school gardens, like torch-bearing villagers on a secretive witch-hunt. The whiff of discord was stronger than the stink of white-hot charcoal. Seconds later, my pulse started racing as I noticed a messenger from the group approaching.

“We will not eat beefburgers,” he informed me curtly, “because of the mad cows.” I smiled on the inside, having already foreseen just such a reaction to concerns that had recently been raised over links between eating British beef and the human form of BSE. Concerns that I myself shared, in fact.

“Don’t worry,” I said calmly, “I have plenty of chicken and sausages.” The messenger nodded, turned on his heel and left to report back his findings to the select committee. As I began to slap the first deliciously marinated chicken legs onto the grill, I became aware of the special envoy again hovering beside me.

“We will eat sausages, then,” he barked, “not chicken.” I started. I had only bought a few pork products, definitely not enough to feed everybody. Trying to subdue my desperation, I asked him why. After many seconds of confusing anglo-German relations, I eventually understood that the self-styled food hygiene inspectorate had decided that eating chicken cooked on a barbecue was, at best, unhygienic, and at worst, carcinogenic. This was very bad news. The nearest supermarket was probably closed by now, and anyway I’d already spent all the money I’d charged the students. I resolved to cook the chicken as quickly as was legally possible, and try to distribute it as swiftly as I could, before the rumours of inevitable future infirmity spread. In the end there were enough sausages for everyone to eat roughly a third of one each, and after supplies ran out, the chicken and beef dodgers were forced to fill up with a bland, if not entirely unhealthy, diet of bread and coleslaw.

Though none of the witch-hunters actually confronted me during the evening, or proposed I be subjected to the ducking stool, their none-too-delicate descriptions of events could be heard floating on the gentle breeze as they mooched off home - “Scheiße Grill!”

Part Three to follow shortly...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

were there no vegetarians in the crowd?
one can never be too prepared. perhaps.

11 September 2007 at 14:26  
Blogger M C Ward said...

There were a few, hence the coleslaw (and meat-free burgers). They'd indicated beforehand their avoidance of meat, whereas the rest were all carnivorous... or so I thought... ;-)

11 September 2007 at 14:52  
Blogger Wally Windsor said...

Try prawns next time - the giant sized variety. They make such a wonderful smell (well, cooking them does), and nobody will dare to pick one up and look silly doing battle with the armour-plating, that you get to eat the lot.

Which is great ... if you're keen on prawns...

12 September 2007 at 13:08  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Wise words from a barbecue veteran... is everybody that sophisticated in Windsor (excepting Paul Lowe, by your accounts...)?

12 September 2007 at 18:30  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home