Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Saturday 8 September 2007

SCORE A TRY FOR ME, ARGENTINA

Brazilians, a popular saying goes, are descendants of Italians trying to be Americans; Argentines are descendants of Italians trying to be British. I’m unilaterally willing to grant UK citizenship to the lads in a rather effeminate blue and white after they put Les Bleus to the sword at the Stade de France yesterday in the opening tie of the 2007 Rugby World Cup.

Their win passed without event here in the Brazilian countryside, due to a confused apathy surrounding the sport of rugby union, coupled with a pandemic antipathy towards Brazil’s southern neighbours. During the last football World Cup, more fireworks were ecstatically discharged, more beer quaffed and more samba feverishly improvised after Argentina’s elimination than after all Brazilian victories put together.

If Ireland can survive the group of death with Argentina, Wales’ path to the Cup is assured. (Humour me...)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you been watching the world cup U-17 of soccer?

How have your teams be fairin' there mate?

8 September 2007 at 04:56  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Poorly, I agree. There's no hiding place...

8 September 2007 at 10:45  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home