Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Tuesday 7 February 2012

EVERY CLOUD HAS A SILVER LINING

Judging by the quantity of Police Statements I am translating at the moment, Northern Ireland is not a good place to be if you're Portuguese.

But the more nationals from that country that get beaten up, fail to repay debts, steal each others' electrical equipment and have their windows smashed by gangs of hooded youths, the better for business as far as I'm concerned.

The tragedies of globalisation - and they say crime doesn't pay...

4 Comments:

Blogger Ermintrude Fishlifter said...

I recently translated the website of a well-known debt collection company which made them sound warm and caring ... if that's not a crime then it certainly should be

8 February 2012 at 16:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry dearie, its Ermintrude Fishlifter... it seems I still don't have the hang of this blog thing

8 February 2012 at 16:43  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

For you it's a veritable gravy train of human misery, Wardy, though I imagine that you Brazilianos generally must be getting a great deal of pleasure from knowing that your snooty former overlords are skint and getting beat up by Orangemen while you are now one of the world's foremost Tiger economies. Enjoy!

18 February 2012 at 06:12  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Ermintrude, I'm with you on that one. PR is the curse of the modern world.

Gadj, I am planning to ride that train for as long as the gravy is warm, and regarding the former colonists, a lot of them seem to be over here, causing all kinds of confusion with their missing syllables and barely disguised attempts to sound Czech. Oh how the tables have turned...

21 February 2012 at 11:39  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home