Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Sunday 11 November 2007

THE PROCRASTINATION ALGORITHM

This week I’ve been fairly quiet blogwise as I’ve been bludgeoning my way through a turgid English to Portuguese translation on the telecommunications industry, for which I brilliantly underestimated the time necessary to complete it, and left it all to the last minute anyway, just to make it truly hellish and stressful.

Below is a graph showing the Procrastination Algorithm that afflicts me. Any normal, mature adult would have divided the 50 files to be translated into the number of days available and worked steadily and with discipline to complete a reasonable number per day. But not I, for that would break the habit ingrained for at least the past twenty years or so. The fact that the number of files tails off on the last day belies the fact that I left the longest and most densely mindbending to last, showing a breathtaking lack of foresight.

Another point of interest has been the Google searches that have brought people here to the TEFL resting place. A peek at Sightmeter referrals provides an intriguing glimpse as to how people stumble into the TEFL Graveyard – Google search terms include, tefl depression and leave tefl, and I apologise to the protagonists of these two visits for the lack of insight my hotchpotch offers to assuage their apparent desperation.

More unlikely visitors were searching for a bulgarian soldier beret, a restaurant in a graveyard (?!), and an almost perfect family sitcom switzerland, the latter being a contradiction in terms if ever I heard one.

My personal favourites, however, have to be the undoubtedly bewildered and vastly disappointed individuals who hurtled in after using the search criteria, Brazilian miniskirts and drenched pair respectively.

There really is nowt queerer than folk.


Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger M. le Prof d'Anglais said...

Interestingly, the top search term that's brought people to my blog is tefl graveyard,

13 November 2007 at 18:36  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Can't you put up some kind of sign? They're mine!

13 November 2007 at 22:28  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home