Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Friday 7 December 2007

FESTIVE TEFL GRAVEYARD QUIZ - THE ANSWERS

I know you can't wait any longer. Here are the answers:

  1. Who is Student A? - Edgar Allan Poe
  2. Who is Student B? - H L Mencken
  3. Which poem do the closing lines, "Time held me green and dying, Though I sang in my chains like the sea" come from, and who wrote it? - Fern Hill by Dylan Thomas
  4. Which font is "Notes From The TEFL Graveyard" written in? (For readers with Asperger's Syndrome.) - Impact
Neither of the entrants got all the questions right, but No Good Boyo takes the biscuit with a sterling 50% pass rate. Just brush up on your Windows fonts and your future is bright.

As promised, here is a picture postcard of the local railway station, the first reinforced concrete building to be constructed in Latin America, designed and built by the French arquitect Dubugras in 1906. Its art-deco style is based on an upturned table.


Congratulations, No Good Boyo, and thanks for humouring me.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger No Good Boyo said...

What can I say? Thank you, thank you all! I'd like especially to thank my English teacher, Mrs Allen, for so putting me off the set O level books that I read Poe, Fitzgerald etc on my own, otherwise I'd only be able to recognise Thomas Hardy. I'd also like to thank the Welsh Joint Edjucation Committee for making it an either/or choice in the arts and sciences, thereby ensuring that I don't know how electric works or what a computer are. (cont p94)

8 December 2007 at 18:07  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Bask away, you deserve all the accolades.

One good thing about teaching English is that you learn some pretty useful stuff from your students, by osmosis, like. I am able to label the parts of, and take anybody through the installation of, a Roll Grinding Mill for the aluminium industry when called upon. I can thank TEFL for that.

8 December 2007 at 19:50  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home