Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Friday 14 December 2007

GET ORF MY LAND

It has been several generations since a Ward has been able to raise this blood-curdling cry to riff raff, armed only with a flintlock blunderbuss and a baker’s dozen ravening hounds, but it seems this branch of the family’s fortunes may be on the turn after years in the urban wilderness. Our unjust exodus from the country, involving a gentleman-farmer ancestor who drove our clan from the Berkshire Downs with a heady mixture of an ignorance of contraceptive methods, excessive port consumption and an insistence on the employment of a coach and four even for short family trips to public floggings (despite the elevated costs of stabling), may soon be righted, if on an entirely different continent.

Show recently went to town (São Paulo) with her credit card firmly clamped between her teeth in search of Christmas bargains at a bazar, a place where well-known retailers of haberdashery, drapery and the like offer their wares at knockdown prices, whilst I spent a frustrating afternoon on the phone to Visa trying to get her credit limit reduced. However, on leaving said suq she filled out a coupon to compete in a raffle whose prize was a plot of land in a condomínio, a secure compound within which the wealthy can live like Americans without fear of judgement, condemnation or armed assault. Imagine our utter stupefaction when she received yesterday a letter stating that she was indeed a winner, and that we are now the proud owners of a valuable square of grass in Águas de Santa Barbara, which lies about two hours north-west of our current place of residence, and which boasts, amongst other amenities, a “twenty-four-hour supply of mineral water”. Show, like me, hasn’t previously been exactly blessed in matters where good fortune plays a part, though I have won a tenner on the National Lottery twice, and once had fifty quid off the Premium Bonds. But this is a whole different level - we can now dream of being neighbours with footballers, company chief executives (to whom I will be slipping a suitably massaged CV), even actresses and TV presenters, all of whose private lives I’ll be closely monitoring and whom I’ll be photographing secretly, selling on the resulting images to the highest bidder.

It is one thing, however, to have a plot of land, and quite another to have the financial resources to build a house on it. Having read the complex and frankly pedantic regulations of the condomínio, I have found nothing specifically forbidding the parking of caravans or the construction of sheds, and I plan to fully exploit these loopholes. Then it’ll be out with the flat cap and the tweeds and a triumphant return to the days of yore, when trespassers were mangled in mantraps and the port flowed like the crystalline mineral waters of which we will soon have a twenty-four-hour supply.


Have you ever won a piece of land? Have you got a twenty-four hour supply of mineral water? I have.


Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here in the US we say "Get off of my lawn!" Usually we are armed only with a garden hose and are yelling at the local skateboard enthusiasts.

16 December 2007 at 10:25  
Blogger M C Ward said...

We have more in common than just a language, it seems...

16 December 2007 at 12:32  
Blogger The TEFL Tradesman said...

Welsh farmers - don't they shout "get off my lamb" when they see the bestial incomers approaching?!?

16 December 2007 at 15:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you don't move there. Stash it as a weekend retreat (laughs).
Being an enfatry liutenant's son I'd possibly choose something more convincing than a hose. Should you need to borrow one let me know. Just kidding...

17 December 2007 at 12:22  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Mr Tradesman, may I make it clear that, while I am subject to 50% Welsh parentage, I have been there rarely - most recently to climb Snowdon and go on a free LSD trip around Portmeirion, and previously for a weekend-long pub crawl in Swansea where I got lashed, flashed and very nearly gashed all in the space of an evening.

18 December 2007 at 18:55  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

The Boyos were big into land acquisition in the 19th century, but some more cunning types laid their land over the top of ours so we can only access our latifundia by being buried in it. Good luck with your plot. If you need a mattress or fuct fridge to Welsh it up, just give my brother Steffan a call.

18 December 2007 at 19:49  
Blogger El Gringo Vasco said...

I'm detecting scam, here. The land is probably owned by the same company who has the sole rights to construct habitation thereupon: buy one home for a hundred thousand and the land comes for free!

20 December 2007 at 17:54  
Blogger M C Ward said...

You're probably a wiser man than me, Vasco, but we've read the small print and they only need to approve our mansion's design, as far as I can make out. The only snag is that they could sell the same land to a third party unless we pay to register it pretty sharpish.

20 December 2007 at 19:13  
Blogger El Gringo Vasco said...

the wisest man I know is one Sherlock Holmes and this singular case sounds ideal for him.

21 December 2007 at 15:37  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Can he build cheaply?

21 December 2007 at 15:45  
Blogger El Gringo Vasco said...

very funny but no. he would get down to the bottom of this, rest assured.

22 December 2007 at 22:35  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home