Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Tuesday 29 April 2008

FREE POKER TIPS!

After day one, I've gleaned this much about Texas Hold'em from Seu Francisco, which I'm selflessly spreading across the blogalaxy, or at least this western spiral arm:

- if somebody has a good hand, he's likely to keep himself to himself;
- if somebody has a bad hand, he's likely to look around the table at the other players to see if he can pick up any clues from their physiognomy;
- the best players never bet everything they've got on a hand - they bet moderately to string others along;
- the answer is to develop a uniform appearance, be patient and always do exactly the same thing, no matter what cards you have;

Seu Francisco is a former Brazilian Poker Champion, and thus should be lent multiple ears, in my humble view.

7 Comments:

Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Sounds very useful. Facility in poker strikes me as one of those life skills you have to acquire before calling yourself a man. It's hardly worth mentioning that I don't even know what the numbers on the cards are.

Mrs Boyo spent some time in Las Vegas a while ago, and came back married (not to me) and wealthy. I've not inquired further, but may do so. She has a face for the game, that's for sure.

29 April 2008 at 06:26  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

These card games scare me, and the people who play them scare me too. Increasingly, Mrs Boyo also scares me, but in a good way.

30 April 2008 at 15:37  
Blogger M C Ward said...

It's the Bond image isn't it? Tuxedo, poker, handgun. Mrs Boyo reminds me of one of them Bond girls. In an umcompromising, good way.

30 April 2008 at 16:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that possible - I'll be watching 'Quantum of Solace' intently.

David V.

30 April 2008 at 17:15  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

True. Snap! never had the same cachet.

Mrs Boyo would be a cross between Jane Seymour and Rosa Luxemburg in a Marxian Bond movie. I feel a script coming on.

1 May 2008 at 06:28  
Blogger The TEFL Tradesman said...

Yeah, right - card games. Good for teaching the numbers, and some basic vocab like 'sucker', 'loser', and 'you fuckin' cheatin' bastard', etc.

Introduce your students to the joys of a quick game of brag before and after class and you'll never be skint again!

1 May 2008 at 15:06  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Ta. Suggestions as to how to supplement my income are always welcome.

2 May 2008 at 20:02  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home