Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Friday 28 March 2008

TV COMEDY - BRAZIL'S BEST JOKE

As far as I can tell, despite our glorious history of comedy, we British are not renowned abroad for our humour. When colleagues first met me in the factory I briefly worked at, many expressed surprise that I wasn’t “serious”, a point they often emphasised by miming the wearing of a tie. I don’t know where this stereotype comes from – if they were surprised by my sobriety I might have better understood their confusion.

One of the many baffling aspects of living in a foreign country is trying to understand the nature of native comedy. When my wife, Show, lived in England, at first she couldn’t understand the hoopla surrounding the sitcom The Office, in particular the sublime central character, David Brent. When she started working in an office, however, the nuances became crystal clear. One comedy that caused some unseemly wrestling over the TV remote control was The League of Gentlemen, which I found beguiling and she found utterly distasteful, which is why it was so amusing, I used to plead from the wrong end of a half-nelson. To me, the bawdy, ribald baseness of the show was merely a continuation of Chaucerian jesting, with a nod and a wave along the way to La vie de Gargantua et de Pantagruel, the Decameron and The Railway Children. She remains unconvinced, and still hides the remote control out of habit.

The League of Gentlemen may be tasteless, but it is easy to grasp why it is funny to aficionados. The acting is superb, the characters way beyond grotesque, the catchphrases memorable and, well, catchy (“This is a local shop”, etc). I have been studying the local comedy here for nigh on six years, and I must admit to remaining singularly unread in the ways of Brazilian burlesque.

The pictured double act are stars of Pánico na TV, from left to right, Repórter Vesgo (“The Cross-Eyed Reporter”, which he apparently isn’t) and Silvio (an impersonation of Silvio Santos, a septuagenarian TV host and owner of the second-largest TV station, SBT - the teeth are not his own, incidentally, and I have my suspicions that he may be using a syrup too). Their job is to go to famous parties, try to gain access and/or hang around outside and insult arriving celebrities. Those who react badly are urged to put on the “Sandals of Humility”, which can be amusing at times, especially when Vesgo is physically assaulted and some of the more tedious celebs make fools of themselves. They are essentially Brazilian versions of English comedian Paul Kaye’s character Dennis Pennis, who did much the same on both sides of the Atlantic. This I can grasp – this is universal.

At the other end of the scale comes Saturday night’s prime time Zorra Total (“Total Old Vixen”, if my dictionary is to be trusted). This is a sketch show written, apparently, by German infants who live in northern Finland and who don’t see daylight from October until March. I just don’t get it. One of the sketches involves a heavily tattooed forty-something chap, and a camp short guy with a funny haircut who delivers rambling, effeminate monologues, interrupted by the former urging him to be “macho”. Then, just as you’re reaching for the remote control, out of nowhere the little camp clown squeals, “A faca, a faca!” (“The knife, the knife!”) and everyone runs for cover. I’ve watched this repeatedly, week after week, and I’m getting no closer. I really try to find it funny, but it just passes me by and leaves me feeling strangely empty.

Finally on this whistle-stop tour of South American jocularity, there is Tiririca. He is a mustachioed loon complete with funny hat who also engages in rambling monologues, but winds up taking preposterous tangents and never reaches any comprehensible conclusion. He is probably funny because he is relieved of the obligation of delivering a suitably droll punch line.

In my humble opinion, all Brazilian comedy scriptwriters should be sacked forthwith and replaced by chimps with typewriters and flexible deadlines.


What is your favourite comedy? Have you ever watched a Brazilian TV comedy? Are you a German infant looking for a career in sitcom, resident in Northern Finland? Is somebody shouting “The knife, the knife!” funny anywhere in the known universe?

9 Comments:

Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

An interesting post, and I was hoping to be convinced about the validity of Brazilian comedy. But in my years of hanging around with Brazilians in London I confess that though I greatly admired their music, dancing, toughness and joie de vivre, I became convinced that their jokes are the worst in the world: usually predictably homophobic, and always crap. Stick to the other stuff, lads!

28 March 2008 at 18:43  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Many thanks for your comments, GD. You're right, Brazilians can be very naturally amusing a lot of the time, but they tend to prefer joke telling than day-to-day humour - with often catastrophic results.

And how about there in Romania? Where are they on the comedy evolutionary scale?

28 March 2008 at 22:59  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

Comedy in Romania? Hmmm. As I may have mentioned, Benny Hill has only just been supplanted as King of Comedy by Mr Bean. There’s a sitcom about Romanian soldiers working in the UN peacekeeping force, I don't understand it, but it looks quite fun, in the Carry On tradition. To their credit (in my opinion) they loved Married With Children, which may have got them up to speed. Now Little Britain and League of Gentlemen have recently been shown here, but, I imagine, to an audience of entirely blank faces!

29 March 2008 at 05:37  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

The League of Gentlemen looks like an aspirational-living documentary to most of Wales, so I can't imagine what Romanians make of it.

Comedy appreciation varies by generation too. I loved the Alan Partridge spoof chat show Knowing Me, Knowing You. The parents of a friend, by no means dullards, thought it was a straight, just not very good, chat show.

Apart from the League, I love Father Ted and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

For a real grasp of the English comedy of embarassment that also manages to be funny, try "The Worst Week of My Life" (2 series and a Xmas special). A good language and life teaching tool for those wanting to penetrate the mists of Albion.

29 March 2008 at 07:51  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

Yes, maybe there's nothing less culturally transferable than comedy. As a child of the 70s I grew up loving Porridge, Reginald Perrin, Monty Python (obviously), etc. I also loved Alan Partridge, Father Ted :-) but sadly I've never seen Curb Your Enthusiasm or The Worst Week of My Life :-(

My favourite under-rated British sitcom was Nightingales - anyone remember that one?!

When abroad I've missed Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse almost more than my own dear mother. :-0

29 March 2008 at 08:48  
Blogger M C Ward said...

I agree on Partridge - his radio Knowing Me, Knowing You stuff was brilliant before the switch to TV, too, and I thought the first I'm Alan Partridge series was a classic. I haven't seen Curb Your Enthusiasm yet either, nor The Worst Week Of My Life. Here we tend to receive American sitcoms by satellite, though The Office (UK version) was shown to a presumably tiny audience and Coupling appears now and again. Apart from that, it's Desperate Housewives and occasionally Two and a Half Men that makes me break into a toothless grin.

29 March 2008 at 11:12  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Coupling! I loved that programme. It had the best comedy Welsh ever. Geoff's way of thinking could become the basis of a new religion.

30 March 2008 at 03:59  
Blogger M C Ward said...

He was superb. I still chuckle at his attempts to chat up a foreign woman in a bar, by admiring her ears, then rambling on and eventually clarifying that he didn't "collect buckets of ears, or anything..." I loves it.

30 March 2008 at 12:12  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Ah, that was a bravura bit of writing. She spoke only Hebrew, and we had no idea what she said. Until they played the scene back with her half of the dialogue in English and his in gibberish. A coup de theatre, and most poignant for Geoff. "Sh'dayim!"

31 March 2008 at 03:53  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home