Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Tuesday 4 March 2008

DOG WASH HOGWASH

A new pet shop opened last Saturday not a brisk five-minute stroll from our caravan, and yesterday I set about discovering the services it offers, in particular its pet cleaning set up. I was greeted by a harassed receptionist who looked to be on the verge of a nervous breakdown, despite my being the only customer in the vicinity at the time.

“Do I have to book to have my dog washed?” I enquired, noticing by the monogram on his white coat that he was, in fact, the veterinary surgeon in chief.

“Er, yeah. It’s probably best…” he mumbled. “I’ve been a bit overwhelmed by demand,” he bleated defensively, out of nowhere, “we only opened on Saturday.”

“How much does it cost for a large mongrel?” I asked him. He consulted his price list.

“Without a Breed Defined (Jumbo)... thirty-five reais,” he responded. He opened his diary on tomorrow. The page was largely blank.

“We’ve got two booked tomorrow…” he said, his voice trailing off helplessly.

“Right…” I looked at him. He seemed lost for words.

“I’ll call you tomorrow then,” I suggested, unable to bear the tortured silence any longer.

“Yeah, call us tomorrow and we’ll see if we can fit you in,” he retorted efficiently, grateful for my forbearing.

Buggering that, when I got home I grabbed some coconut soap and stood on Moby’s lead whilst I hosed him down in the back yard. I was never going to fork out R$ 35 to clean an animal that, before you could say “Jack Russell” would be lying in his own effluent, or that of an unidentified third party – he’s a handsome beast, but his personal hygiene is nothing to write ballads about.

As I cleansed my mutt, I began to do some mental arithmetic. R$ 35 per dog – let’s suppose there are two pet hygienists working, one washing and the other drying. I reckon you could bathe at least three large mongrels an hour, maybe more smaller hounds, especially as the most popular breed around here appears to be, inexplicably, the Poodle. So that’s roughly R$ 105 per hour. As an EFL teacher, the most I’ve ever managed to earn per hour in Brazil is R$ 25. As far as I can guess, pet hygienists don’t need any particular qualifications – in fact they could be utterly witless and still make a career out of it, as long as they knew which way round to wear the apron and remembered to keep the dog’s head above the waterline at all times. Even if the two of them shared the R$ 105 per hour equally, they’d still be creaming off double what I receive – and they wouldn’t have people gazing resentfully at them all day with a look that says, “I still can’t speak English, and it’s nobody’s fault but yours.”

When I did my TEFL course, I recall that one of the teacher trainers made the observation: “If you’re entering TEFL to make money, there’s the door.” I now realize that he wasn’t indicating that it was the door to making money, but the door to get out of TEFL before it was too late.

Damn him and his confounded ambiguity!



----------------
Now playing: The Flaming Lips - Lightning Strikes The Postman
via FoxyTunes

7 Comments:

Blogger El Gringo Vasco said...

great entry!

5 March 2008 at 03:54  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

Yes, nice one, and always fun to hear about animals - and their more ridiculous human counterparts. But what's that a picture of - your dog or a baby seal pup with an early death premonition?

5 March 2008 at 04:32  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Looks like the Great God Cthulhu in his pup stage, with adorable baby face-tentacles. Iä ftaghn!

5 March 2008 at 09:31  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Thanks for the canine feedback, chaps - dogs tug at the heart strings don't they? The photo does indeed look like an as yet unclubbed seal pup, but in fact I robbed it from a random Google search - who knows his/her/its identity. My altogether more manly companion, Moby, can be seen featured here.

5 March 2008 at 11:08  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

Ahhh, now that's a dog! The other thing, I dunno; I think NGB's right in saying it's a Welsh, but beyond that I wouldn't like to commit myself.

I must read your earlier posts now I've glimpsed their titles. James Joyce was a TEFL teacher, yes, I suppose he was. Good precedent to have. But then your wife Show is Nora Barnacle - just not such a cool name :-)

5 March 2008 at 13:06  
Blogger M C Ward said...

His Welshity hasn't yet been established, but it gives me an idea... cross him with a passing vira lata ("turn over bins" - the delightful term for a mongrel in these parts) and call their progeny West Anglesey Ewehounds. Nobody'll ever check - I could make a fortune.

5 March 2008 at 14:43  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

There's an over-funded trophy wife somewhere who'll buy it.

6 March 2008 at 09:12  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home