Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Thursday 31 January 2008

WEARING THE TEFL TROUSERS

Whilst recently perusing a list of Dos and Don’ts for teachers at the TEFL Tips blog, one item particularly caught my attention:

DON’T - Wear weekend clothes to class. Jogging pants, jeans or shorts aren’t acceptable… Men should wear dress pants and a dress shirt with a collar.” (My emphasis)

Ignoring the fact that the author of this tip has used the wrong word “pants” for the correct one, “trousers”, this, to me, is sound advice. I got through my Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language to Adults in Bournemouth in 1993 thanks, in no little part, to my TEFL Trousers.

Fresh out of University, electing to do a TEFL course was perhaps a strange choice, as I too was subject to the world’s most widely-held phobia, that of speaking in public. The closest I’d come in my four-year degree in Italian to standing in front of a group of people to give important information was revealing incoherently to my drinking brethren that, if they really expected me to down the rest of my pint of Irish stout in one, I couldn’t be held responsible for ensuing dry-cleaning bills.

All who have endured one know that a TEFL certificate course is full-stick - four weeks of intense pressure with a thousand quid (probably more now) at stake should you let your attention wander.

And so I came upon my TEFL Trousers – a pair of unremarkable black slacks, with turn-of-the-decade front pleats. When I slipped into them, I felt confident I could face down any classroom situation, though, to be fair, the students we were educating during our afternoon teaching practice sessions were doing the extra classes for free, so were hardly likely to be disruptive or complain about things. As the days passed I began to warm to the task, even managing to combine recently learned juggling skills into a lesson, thus neatly placing myself within the TEFL/big top fraternity.

During the course I also struck up a four-week friendship with a first-rate companion who, like me, was an aficionado of chess. Without fail, every morning break between classes we’d set up the board and have a round of speed chess over coffee, with honours roughly shared over the duration of the course. It was our daily ritual, from which we never wavered.

Then, one day, disaster struck. My TEFL Trousers had gone to the wash without my prior knowledge, and I was forced into wearing jeans to school. I tried to remain calm, but by the end of the day’s teaching practice, I was in tatters. The timing of my class had been all over the place, my concept checking laughable, the students had ended up uniformly confounded – even that day’s chess match had been the scene of an almighty, almost Crimean, blunder. I realised that, in order to teach, my TEFL Trousers were a necessity. Given this revelation, I also began to worry that I might be turning into Bobby Fischer, give or take a few IQ points.

Back strutting around in my worthy black strides the next day, I breezed through the day’s lessons, carefree and crazy. I even got a grade “B” at the end of the course, for what that’s worth. As for my TEFL Trousers, they made it through the rest of the nineties giving me their sterling professional support, before being retired at the end of the decade when a growing paunch rendered their services wholly inappropriate.

Men should wear dress pants and a dress shirt with a collar.” It’s a worthy statement, and I commend it to the House.


Do you have a pair of TEFL Trousers? Or another garment you need in order to teach? If you do another job, do you wear any lucky item of clothing, like a helmet with a light on it if you’re a miner, or a stab-proof vest if you’re a Policeman? Do you like chess? Do you ever worry that you may be turning into an obsessive, in an unhealthy way? Please feel at liberty to open up about your trousers.



----------------
Now playing: The Who - I Can't Explain
via FoxyTunes

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favourite item of essential teaching apparel was a rather dark paisley shirt. It was extremely comfortable, being a size or three too generous for my skinny body (at that time, of course) and would hold the secrets of the previous night's debauchery for a good week or two before needing a wash.

You name it - vomit, fag-ash, HP sauce, sperm - my shirt would disguise them all in a colourul swirl of fashionable fogging.

The smell was a bit of a give-away, though...

31 January 2008 at 13:52  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Being the best-dressed man in the room gives you the confidence to breeze through any old bollox.

I always wore a pinstripe suit and college tie when teaching Russian in London, and agree that anything less would have left me feeling like a workshy drunk who'd just crammed verbs of motion 20 minutes before the class began.

Chess is for nervous Hungarians. Backgammon is the game for gentlemen, as well as sounding like a tasty Yorkshire treat.

31 January 2008 at 14:45  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Sandy - judging by the graphic soiling of your chemise, I suspect we may have been at the same party sometime over the years.

NG - backgammon has the advantage of having the luck of the dice to fall back on, whereas with xadrez there's nowhere to hide. If you lose your trousers (which seems a popular item to bet, according to your Ukrainian stories), you can only blame a lack of proper preparation due to having some kind of life.

1 February 2008 at 11:41  
Blogger El Gringo Vasco said...

I have one pair of khaki colored, heavy-duty cotton trousers. They get a wash and an iron once a week. I had two pairs of black, calvin klein dress trousers but my excessive beer drinking and subsequent beer belly retired those to the closet.

occasionally, at the school, we have "free dress day" when the students are allowed to wear something other than their boring uniforms. On such days they all show up wearing the finest and latest brands, the names of which are prominently scribed across the cloth.

it seems that I always miss the reminder and show up looking like a nerd, as usual. my khaki cotton trousers, collard shirt.

2 February 2008 at 17:57  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Good point, MC, although blaming the dice cuts no ice with Kolya Lektryk, who likes to parade around the village on the eve of Ivan Kupala wearing all the pairs of my trousers that he's won over the years, suitably adjusted to accommodate his satyric physique, and finished off with a German fireman's metal hat that he normally uses for feeding. Last year he was accompanied by the Obukhiv Infants Brass Band, to mark the anniversary of his grandfather being freed from the well he'd spent the war hiding in.

3 February 2008 at 06:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)

27 June 2008 at 03:40  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home