Skip to main content

THE MAD, DOGS AND ENGLISHMEN

Brazilians are a friendly bunch. This is a fact. If you don’t watch out, complete strangers will strike up conversation in public places, which is something that tends to unnerve the average reserved Briton and make him want to start running. Having overcome this urge by sheer force of repetition, I now throw myself into social congress with anybody sufficiently slow-moving.

Whilst standing on an odour-filled bus recently lamenting the absurd state of public transport with a senior citizen who couldn’t get away, I was reminded of a rather arresting incident that occurred early in my foraging for a living here in the Republica Federativa do Brasil.

I was exercising my hound, as is my daily routine, when I noted a strikingly tall blonde with dark glasses tottering towards me on an unruly pair of high heels. As she passed, she hissed something to me out of the side of her crimson-traced mouth. Back then, I was subject to the second-and-a-half time delay that kicks in when spoken to unexpectedly in the native tongue, and I just looked at her blankly and continued walking, my poor brain trying to decipher her sudden interjection.

Mulling things over, two things struck me about her throwaway comment: (1) she had a voice that would be suitable for dubbing the Rocky character into Portuguese; and (2) she was, if my flaccid language skills weren’t deceiving me, inviting me to put her “on a leash” – presumably an oblique reference to my dog-walking. Quickening my pace, I continued on my perplexed ramble until I got home and consulted a dictionary, which only confirmed my suspicions.

I have since seen various photos of my new friend in the society pages of the local paper, each time in a different dress under captions such as, “Marco reaches boiling point at the Metallurgical Workers’ Union Annual Barbecue”.

It’s reassuring to know that, should you ever need one, there’s a transvestite available, even in a small town such as this.


Has anyone ever offered to put you on a leash? Do transvestites make odd proposals in the street to complete strangers in your country? Please feel free to share your dressing-up stories.


----------------
Now playing: The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
via FoxyTunes

Comments

No Good Boyo said…
Outstanding encounter. Your approach of stopping and trying to work out what was said beats mine of chirping the local phrase for "Ok, matey". This has got me into trouble with armed police in Israel, angry pimps in Moscow, and a gay man standing with a goat on a railway line in Tashkent.

When I worked in Baku I found out that it was a hub for transvestites throughout the Caucasus, especially those who used to live in what had been Chechnya.

They hung out at the "Mother and Child" cafe, an allegedly man-free zone where demure Azeri women could munch cakes with their infants without having Stalin lookalikes rubbing against them. The mommies had usually gone home for casual domestic violence by tea-time, and from then on it was Trannistan.

I never ventured in, and evil President Aliyev had it closed down the following year. Thus was another opportunity for major linguistic misunderstandings missed.
M C Ward said…
Yikes. Your knowledge of Caucasian cross-dressing, albeit strictly theoretical, both intrigues and delights.
No Good Boyo said…
I feel another novel coming on, the sort that wins prizes. "Kiteflyer of Kabul"? Try "The Crossdresser of Baku".
Erika said…
Thanks for your comment on my blog.

One of my first recollections of a trip to Rio de Janeiro, back when I was around 9, includes a great number of "serious" transvestites and others not so serious (some poorly dressed drunk men) on my stepfather's car hood!

To say the least, they are definitely a fun break on our attempt to classify love and gender. Yes, as a homofobic billboard in Campinas said some time ago "God made men and women" and culture made us who we are with our symbols and freedom to connect anyway we see fit (and that's not hurting anyone).

Cheers ; )
Erika
M C Ward said…
Erika, bem-vindo!

A friend of mine was in London once and a passenger in his car, fuelled by drink and boyish bravado, shouted some insults at some transvestites, unaware that the car was about to stop at a red traffic light. Seeing them running towards the car in the wing mirror, he tried to wind the window up, but was too drunk to coordinate it. Before he knew it, one of the cross-derssers stuck his head in the window, kissed him and said, "Dontcha just love it?!"

Popular posts from this blog

FOOLING WITH SCHOOLING

One of the commonest figures to be found within TEFL is the aspiring administrator. This is a teacher who, often drained by years of repetitive, poorly remunerated clowning around in the classroom, seeks a position managing other teachers, such as Director of Studies (aptly and attractively known as "Doss"), from which they can sit in an imaginary TEFL director’s chair smoking a cigar, bellowing, “CUT!” and enjoying not having to pull a linguistic rabbit out of a hat twelve times a day, five days a week. I include myself within this TEFL subgenre, although my past experiences of administration have left me with an odd yearning to get back into the classroom and be king of my own modest sandcastle. In 2005, whilst I was working in HR at a local factory, my Brazilian friend Bert and I decided to start our own school. I had recently managed to wriggle out of a honey trap I’d set for myself, when I offered to give a free English course to my colleagues in the factory’s Training a...

TEFL ANTHEMS VOL. I

An interesting debate over at ELT World in answer to the question, Are your students learning anything? has got me all reflective. Many rock songs are claimed by religious maniacs to include subliminal messages when played backwards or by missing every sixth word or summat, but others are more easily deciphered. As TEFL anthems go, perhaps one of the most memorably haunting has to be Dave Gilmour/Roger Waters' bitterly ironic collaboration reflecting on TEFL one-to-one classes being taught abroad , Wish You Were Here : How I wish, how I wish you were here. We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl, Year after year, Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears. Wish you were here. As TEFL mongers we often feel like we're in a fish bowl, year after year , not least because the majority of our students exhibit the retention capacities of the goldfish. After painstakingly explaining that we use the preposition to after various verbs, the ...

NO MORE A-CUSSIN'

In an effort to rid himself of the habit of using foul language at the slightest provocation , a Facebook chum recently asked for suggestions for harmless expressions he could use in front of his Gran and her bingo clique during moments of high stress, astonishment and/or extreme disappointment. I weighed in with, " Crikey! " and, " Great Scott! " Please feel free to add your suggestions, and help to make the world a tiny bit less like a trucker's stopover in Eindhoven .