Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Sunday 13 January 2008

LIGHT HEART OF DARKNESS

If the first couple of weeks of January are anything to go by, 2008 will be a year of unprecedented industry in the Ward tent. I am also planning to resurrect my first film script, which has been on hold due to the difficulty I experience in writing in Portuguese. But then I think of Joseph Conrad (born Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski, let it be remembered) and I feel young again.

For some reason I woke up today thinking about Margarida. Here is a compilation of his finest moments, which comprise the only reason to purchase a football ticket, in my opinion.






----------------
Now playing: Gnarles Barkley - Crazy
via FoxyTunes

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Conrad is proof, for those many of us who've doubted it, that a human can truly master a second language.


Great blogging as usual... waiting for you to start posting on the forum.


David from ELT World

14 January 2008 at 08:07  
Blogger El Gringo Vasco said...

man, that video of the arbitro is hilarious! It seems like the video was played backwards thus causing his awkward gait. but no, that's how he runs!

14 January 2008 at 17:19  
Blogger M C Ward said...

DV, I'll be over soon, I promise. EGV - Margarida is one of those freaks that appears in Brazil out of nowhere. Married with kids and now plying his eccentric trade somewhere in the Caribbean, but I'm planning a website dedicated to getting him deported back.

14 January 2008 at 19:25  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Odd-shaped ball but he knows what to do with it.

Sounds like the defence testimony at the court martial of Capt Scot "Scotty" Scott in Quetta, 1946, come to think of it.

Was is Nostromo that tempted you to South America, mc?

15 January 2008 at 06:52  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Nostromo played a part, but much of the credit must go to the Inland Revenue.

15 January 2008 at 13:53  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Ah, those IR fools. They didn't believe Uzbekistan was a country and duty editor was a job. They were right, in a very real sense, but so was the paperwork. Ha ha Mr Brown, that money didn't fund your useless NHS, it bought me drinks, smokes and the attention of under-dressed women!

16 January 2008 at 05:53  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home