Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Thursday 14 February 2008

HARD HATS, HARD HEARTS - PART THREE

I discovered during this experience that interpreting roughly subscribes to the 80-20 rule, ie 80% of the work is performed in 20% of the time, and vice-versa. This, coupled with Erich’s undoubted charisma and the Brazilian workers’ tendency to constantly seek his attention and/or approval led to my idle time being filled with some fairly strange translating services. One mechanic wanted me to make it crystal clear to the bemused foreigners that he seldom wore underpants, whilst another, latterly known as bekloppt, unashamedly confessed that he occasionally wet his bed in drunken irreverence, but only, he later qualified, on special occasions celebrated with almighty benders, such as Christmas, New Year, Carnaval, Easter, Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, barbecues, christenings, weddings, football derbies, etc. Despite making absolutely plain that he didn’t drink every day, each morning he’d arrive a little more bedraggled and give a rough estimate as to how many cans of beer he’d quaffed the previous night, which not infrequently involved the use of the fingers of both hands.

Until Erich arrived and started playing the crowd with consummate ease, the days were filled with periods of total inactivity. I lost count of how many laps of the neighbouring Lamination Department I completed, or how many times I stood by a machine watching rolls of aluminium foil being produced before my very eyes. The occasional fire and accompanying release of a couple of tonnes of CO2 would add interest to proceedings.

A roll grinding mill takes precision to absurd lengths, making for slow progress that does one’s head in after a while. After concreting in the machine base, the feisty Mattias started going along the length of it from point to point with spirit levels measuring fractions of a millimetre, loosening or tightening bolts to raise or lower the eight-tonne structure a couple of microns. Of course each time he adjusted one, it threw the others out, and he’d reach the end then head back again. He carried out this procedure for three whole days. A tarpaulin had to be hastily erected to stop the wind from entering the building, as even a sudden gust could distort the readings on the spirit levels and invoke a Wagnerian response from Herr Mattias. After a time I couldn’t bear to watch any more - I wanted to howl like a wolf or something.

Mattias and Erich left in mid-December to spend Christmas at home, the former never to return, after which the third of the triumvirate of alemães, Markus the machine operator, touched down in early January, with Erich returning with him. The new boy was affable yet assertive, as I discovered when he had me on the blower to Iberia almost hourly to try to recover his lost luggage. Fair play to him, I’d be uncomfortable wearing the same T-shirt and underwear combination to work for five days without respite.

Erich had promised to bring a T-shirt for bekloppt, and duly presented him with a green garment with the word “FREAK” printed in large capital letters on the front. After discreetly checking with me that this word didn’t mean “gay”, he happily stowed it away in his bag where nobody could steal it. When Erich offered to send a postcard from Germany to anybody who wanted one when he got home, work stopped due to the sheer demand – mechanics descended scaffolding at a perilous pace to make sure they got their names and addresses on the list. There was something vaguely tragic about watching grown men queuing up for such meagre fare.

Markus was eminently likeable, but seemed to be undergoing a mid-life crisis, despite only being in his early thirties. The trigger seemed to be the voluptuous sirens that haunted the hotel bar at night, offering to relieve him of a few Euros in return for some dusky practices. Each day he appeared more and more preoccupied, ready to cave into temptation, but torn by having a wife and kids back home. One of the more proactive courtesans even managed to phone him at work one day, though how she got his number remains a mystery.

The testing of the machine was almost as draining as the spirit level business had been. It takes around 30 minutes to grind a roll, then it’s necessary to make minute adjustments and set the whole process going again. Intermittently Markus would wail out loud at the pure tediousness of how he was spending his life. “Don’t tell the operators this, but grinding rolls is a bloody stupid job,” he stated with admirable candour. “The curves they are grinding on these rolls are so small, you can’t even see them with the naked eye,” he continued, “a human hair is around 30 microns wide. Here we’re dealing in 8 or 9 microns.” I began to see why he was dreaming his life away.

My contract ended around a week before Markus was due to leave. Having promised to join him for a farewell beer in his hotel, I phoned him several times, but he never returned my calls. I often wonder if he ever went back to Germany.



----------------
Now playing: Jet - Are you Gonna Be My Girl
via FoxyTunes

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Germans seem to be rather good at dealing with the microns of the world, and I suppose somebody has to. I'm rather envious - it all sounds rather like a hi-tech Auf Wiedersehen, Pet! And I do hope that if young Markus threw his marriage away on this Brazilian lady of the night then she at least proved to be yer actual female-type lady ;-)

15 February 2008 at 12:48  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Wise words, GD. It was interesting to see the cultural differences emerge - the Brazilian operators said the curve should be "between 8 and 9 microns". Markus replied, "I'm German - is it 8 or 9?" That maybe accounts for why Germany produces the Mercedes Benz, Audi and BMW whilst Brazil made the Volkswagen Beetle well into the eighties.

Your latter observations are as spot on as they are disturbing ;-)

15 February 2008 at 13:26  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

I find it disturbing that I was also wondering whether the ladies of negotiable affection were packing a surprise in their M&S white briefs. Brazil needs to do something about the image I have of it. Not appropriate for an emerging Amazonian superpower.

I hope Markus wasn't so mortified by his ladyboy laspe that he headed out into the rainforest alone, knowing that the only way to redeem himself was to kill Sting.

15 February 2008 at 19:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always rather admired the Brazilians for their entrepreneurial transvestitism. Hardly the most stable career in the world though, not exactly a 9 to 5 - I hate to think what they can do when they start getting bald and paunchy.

Ah, if only easing a troubled mind was as simple as going out and killing Sting - though that would clearly be a start. I can see Markus now as Klaus Kinski in Aguirre, the Wrath of God!

16 February 2008 at 05:50  
Blogger M C Ward said...

All I can say is I'm doing my part by only slipping into Show's gear when alone in the house. As for Sting, if that native Indian tribe had eaten him, would anybody have complained, after initial noises expressing shock from more conservative circles?

16 February 2008 at 14:52  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Last week I accidentally (M'lud)donned Mrs Boyo's cords, mistaking them for mine own, and wore them for a whole morning. They seemed rather snug and buttoned the wrong way, but I'm often confused by my own clothing. I owned up to this, and think I got away with it.

I've planned a short story on a future Soviet Britain - yes, we always catch up after the caravan's moved on. It would be a brutal, grey, inept tyranny, but the world would give it the benefit of the doubt because the regime had Sting and Bono immediately shot on the runway at Aneurin Bevan International Airport (formerly Heathrow) when the arrived to show solidarity with the Revolution.

You can imagine the conversations in salons from New York to Paris:

"They've banned grafitti artists and the Liberal Democrats! I am so going on a demo!"

"Yeah, but they did shoot Sting and Bono, didn't they?"

"Ah, good point, maybe..."

16 February 2008 at 19:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once lived in a flat with a well-built Danish girl but no washing machine: I can still remember the tightness on that cotton upon my loins.....

I'm picturing an image of iconic beauty: Sting and Bono on the steps leading down from their BAC-Tupolev 797 to the runway; they stop momentarily, à la The Beatles 1964, to wave to the amassed multitude; the squad of grenadiers raise their rifles high to give the 21 gun salute; but then, unnoticed, the barrels slowly lower and a screaming volley of shots sends our two erstwhile rock gods tumbling blood-splattered down the steps. Somehow Yoko Ono and Chris de Burgh are caught in the cross-fire. The image of Bono’s cracked wrap-around shades lying on the tarmac beside his outstretched rigor-mortised hand becomes the image of the century, proudly displayed on every student’s bedroom wall.

17 February 2008 at 03:59  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Somehow Yoko Ono and Chris de Burgh are caught in the cross-fire.

Oh yes!

I like the image of a People's Army-issue boot seen through the cracked, tinted lens of Bono's discarded shades. That would be my screensaver, that would.

17 February 2008 at 12:12  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Maybe the maudlin strains of de Burgh's lasting contibution to kitsch Lady in (Blood) Red could be played in the background on a Casio keyboard - it'd give a whole new meaning, not to mention a measured pathos...

17 February 2008 at 12:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Maybe Bono and de Burgh could be lured onto the same plane if Yoko promised to make a statue of them out of the clouds.

Btw, NGB, great idea about renaming Heathrow after boyo Bevan: the reality of the NHS may be dodgier than that initially envisioned, but it was still the best idea we British (ok, you Welsh) ever had!! I worry, though, that Liverpool Council didn’t think through the consequences when they renamed theirs Liverpool John Lennon Airport. I’m thinking:

Manchester Shaun Ryder Airport
Gatwick Robert Smith Airport
Edinburgh Bay City Rollers Airport
Croydon Captain Sensible Airport
Tel Aviv Dana International Airport

I really must get a life.... :-)

17 February 2008 at 14:54  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Gentlemen, we have the makings of a British Battleship Potemkin here! Perhaps we should call it HMS Bragg - after future People's Commissar for Culture Billy, not Melvyn (Prisoner 4567953).

19 February 2008 at 07:35  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home