Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Wednesday 2 April 2008

FOOLING WITH SCHOOLING

One of the commonest figures to be found within TEFL is the aspiring administrator. This is a teacher who, often drained by years of repetitive, poorly remunerated clowning around in the classroom, seeks a position managing other teachers, such as Director of Studies (aptly and attractively known as "Doss"), from which they can sit in an imaginary TEFL director’s chair smoking a cigar, bellowing, “CUT!” and enjoying not having to pull a linguistic rabbit out of a hat twelve times a day, five days a week. I include myself within this TEFL subgenre, although my past experiences of administration have left me with an odd yearning to get back into the classroom and be king of my own modest sandcastle.

In 2005, whilst I was working in HR at a local factory, my Brazilian friend Bert and I decided to start our own school. I had recently managed to wriggle out of a honey trap I’d set for myself, when I offered to give a free English course to my colleagues in the factory’s Training and Development Department. I’d made this offer for several reasons – I wanted to try out some new teaching techniques I’d found out about in a low-pressure situation, and I hoped it may gain me some credibility, given my boss’s opinion that I spoke pidgin Portuguese, making it difficult to assess whether I was the village idiot or the wise Shakespearean fool. Lastly, I hoped a few would be sufficiently stimulated by the freebie experience to seek out paid private English classes with me.

As it turned out, the course was something of a disaster. The only time available for holding the classes was from 6:00am to 7:00am, meaning that twice a week I had to be up at 4:30am to get ready for the 5:10am works bus. After an initial spurt of interest, student numbers fell from about 14 to 2, and worse, I began to be hounded by my boss into providing reports on my students’ progress. Rather than see my initiative as a selfless act for the common good, he mystifyingly interpreted it as some kind of favour he was doing me. I let it go on for about two months, then used the high drop-out rate as the perfect excuse to plead that it was turning into a wasteful extra use of electricity at a time when the training centre would normally have remained in darkness.

Thus our plan for a school was conceived. As by far the more accomplished procrastinator, I took it upon myself to be Head of Tables and Pie Charts, and produced a glittering array of graphical representations illustrating just how wealthy we were to become. The school was located in the town where the factory stood, and with just over 5,000 employees and an internal English course limited only to Engineers (of whom there were less than 100 in total) I confidently predicted that if even 1% of the workers there were interested in learning English, that would provide us with a cool 50 students, just to kick off with. We found suitable premises, put up partitions to create 2 decent-sized classrooms, installed an illuminated sign, advertised in the local press, did leafleting campaigns, sent letters door-to-door, and ended the first 12 months with a total of 12 students, a figure that compelled us to employ a scorched earth policy, removing the furniture, disabling the telephone and beating an indebted surrender.

The aggravating factors that caused our failure were many. Firstly, there was the tendency for Brazilians to promise to do something, then not bother to do it. Secondly, there was the mystery of the leafleting campaign, which didn’t appear to reach any of our target consumers. When I explained the task to the lad charged with delivering the material, I developed the suspicion that he was several lemons short of a caipirinha, a fact confirmed when he waved to me from a bus leaving town not twenty minutes later. Only after we closed the school and abandoned our aspirations did people come to me and ask me where the school was located. “I saw that school,” they said, “but I didn’t realise it was yours. I thought it was just another franchise…”

I’m not a good salesman. In fact, that’s not true. I’m not good at selling myself. Give me something to sell, and I’ll shift it for you. What I find difficult is convincing myself of my worth, let alone other people. Maybe that’s why I’m still in TEFL. Or maybe that’s what TEFL has done to me.


Are you good at selling yourself? How much do you charge? Have you ever opened a business? Do you have a job for me? I’m punctual.

19 Comments:

Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

Ouch. This idea was surely a noble one, I applaud you for trying, and I'm buggered if I know how it could have been done any more successfully!

When I found that people didn't want to pay me any more I starting doing it for free. Hmmm.

3 April 2008 at 05:07  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

At an early age I decided that some of us are genetically programmed to be indolent, wryly corrupt civil servants - rather like Captain Reynaud in Casablanca.

After various inept adventures in business, I and others concluded that index-linked pensionland is the place for me.

My dream is to be a middle-ranking 1930s Balkan customs official, stroking my moustache behind a rickety desk, wiping my hands on my greasy uniform and refusing to answer the phone. The BBC comes close.

3 April 2008 at 05:53  
Blogger M C Ward said...

GD - where nobility is concerned, in giving free classes you are clearly more noble than I.

NGB - you obviously have wisdom beyond your ears, my father always used to urge me to join the Diplomatic Service, not least because of the pension you mention. I, of course, preferred to be rebellious and artistic, and consequently poor. My only hope now is that relations deteriorate with Brazil to such an extent that I may be able to become an MI6 operative.

3 April 2008 at 09:53  
Blogger M C Ward said...

I'm trying my best.

3 April 2008 at 09:54  
Blogger M C Ward said...

GD, if I may be so bold, you describe yourself as a technical author. Does one need a background in engineering to fulfill such a role?

3 April 2008 at 15:50  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

MC, I think I can see your drift, and I would happy to give advice if I can. It helps greatly if you have experience and/or education in the subject you are writing about, but that can be learnt on the job if you have some technical aptitude. It's also a great help if you speak the language of the engineers/programmers in the company that's employing you.

If you wish I can tell you more, including plenty of my personal opinions :-)

3 April 2008 at 16:46  
Blogger M C Ward said...

GD, I'd like that, if you don't mind. If you like you can email me here, or leave something here on the blog if you prefer. Thanks!

3 April 2008 at 17:11  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Whoops, that didn't work. I'll leave an email link in my sidebar ->

3 April 2008 at 17:12  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Sorry to arse about - it's in my profile, under my photo (click "View my complete profile").
;o)

3 April 2008 at 17:17  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

Ok, I got it, thanks. I should state here and now though that I actually did the job for less than 2 years, but as it was where I'd been trying to direct my "career" for a long time (and it was my last proper job) I now happily describe myself as a technical writer! Maybe I can say more about how to get there than what it's like when you're there; but maybe that's valid, so I'll send an email to your address soon.

4 April 2008 at 04:49  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Nice one!

4 April 2008 at 11:47  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

OK, I sent you the email. It's rather long-winded, but you may as well learn early on that boredom is never a valid criticism of technical documentation ;-)

Of course, you should also appreciate that technical writing is not A Man’s Job, like what engineering (or indeed TEFL) undoubtedly is, and engineers will sneer about why it takes you so long to write a manual when they could explain it all in a session down the pub in less time than it takes to punch an arts graduate.

Let me know if you've received the email. Cheers.

4 April 2008 at 13:18  
Blogger M C Ward said...

GD, you were already high in my estimation (for what that's worth), but you're now stratospheric. You're a true gent, the email arrived safely, except that Google considered it spam, about which I will be lodging a perfectly-worded technical complaint. Saúde!

5 April 2008 at 00:23  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

De nada!

Ah, yes, that happens, I should have warned you - anything eminating from Romania is considered spam/criminal/vampiric/gypsy/good-at-gymnastics/etc ;-)

5 April 2008 at 02:58  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

(p.s. I sent you another email which you might have to de-spam)

5 April 2008 at 03:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

5 April 2008 at 20:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been there, worked like mad, got no students, packed it in.

It was meant to be an ethical language school. Clearly I'm no businessman!

9 April 2008 at 15:26  
Blogger M C Ward said...

I was sure I wasn't alone! An ethical school sounds like a novel concept. It's kinda depressing when you see thousands of these franchise schools with drab materials written on toilet paper packed to the roof just because they give away a free rucksack/baseball cap.

The customer knows nothing - that's the great advantage/disadvantage, depending on your position/motivation.

9 April 2008 at 15:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the end I think it serves them right. (Bitter - moi?) They used to phone me, complaining about the courses they were taking elsewhere, where they were packed in like sardines and doing uninspiring grammar. My maximum number of students would have been 8, in a lovely atmospheric medieval cellar - but well lit - and obviously very communicative and student-centred. Yet I would have been slightly more expensive (although still dirt cheap).

When no-one turned up for my two open nights, after newspaper ads and flyers all over the place for a few months, then it was time to stop.

Not having an established name is one thing. But if people would rather pay less for crap, then it's their own fault.

9 April 2008 at 16:36  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home