Skip to main content

I WAS IN THAT NUMBER

One of our number has posted the following video on YouTube. Despite the shaky camera work, we weren't in fact performing on the Portsmouth to Cherbourg ferry, but in an auditorium in Sorocaba, Brazil, days before our triumphant tour of Pomerania.



NB The author reserves the right to delete any derogatory, defamatory, inflammatory or anti-Welsh comments that may ensue from the playing of the above clip.

Comments

Gadjo Dilo said…
Ah, very nice! I was fearing that you'd have hired an accent coach to get the vowels right, but I'm glad you didn't. ;-) (That would actually have been quite pointless and horrible.)

I tried to find something anti-Welsh to say, just for the anti-hero prestige of getting deleted, but this seems so gloriously far from Cwm Rhondda that I was unable.
M C Ward said…
Your restraint is appreciated. It isn't the best performance we've ever done, but it gives a flavour of our exotic cocktail. When we sing samba we really hit our stride.
Gadjo Dilo said…
It wasn't supposed to be a criticism - I really like it! And I imagine the Poles etc were glad to have something a little exotic at their event. Talking of samba, the salsa club here in my Romanian town will give its first samba class tomorrow - really looking forward to that, wild horses wouldn't keep me away!
M C Ward said…
Thanks gents.

I was amazed to find that samba has almost as many varieties as bananas. I want to learn the solo version - our best sambista was toast of the festival.
No Good Boyo said…
Welcome back! YouTube presence is true fame. There was a clip there once of Gyppo Byard mocking Mrs Boyo. It has vanished, as have his fingernails.
M C Ward said…
Thank you kindly, Mr Boyo, and good day to you sah!

Was Wales everything you expected? Poland was nothing like what I expected, a lot more and a lot less at the same time.

I shall be supporting Polska in the forthcoming European Championships of Association Football.
No Good Boyo said…
Wales was a great improvement on the earlier model, MC. The draughty hall in my native town (Dolgellau) has been turned into an innovative arts and music centre called Tŷ Siamas (http://www.tysiamas.com/), and Mrs Boyo was impressed by a new clothes shop on the main street which stocks human sizes.

I also lika Polska. Most Welsh seem to be supporting Italy, on some sort of corruption solidarity/tenors' unity principle. They are doomed.
Gadjo Dilo said…
I'm supporting my adoptive homeland, who've just held France to a very creditable 0-0 draw, as I'm hoping they'll also do to any other country daring to play interesting football.

p.s. Is there really film of Gyppo Byard mocking Mrs Boyo?? One would like to see it, even if entailed buying a TV license.
No Good Boyo said…
Gadjo, at great risk to my sweetbreads, here it is, back briefly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2gF1-fkDpY

Mrs Boyo's current cover name is Irina.
Gadjo Dilo said…
Boyo, I'm in a quandary here. Part of me really wants to see this video clip; but another, possibly nobler, part of me thinks that Mrs Boyo should keep her mystery and never be presented to the world via anything so sordid and demeaning as a facsimile produced by a camera lens. It's like with the The Archers characters: they should never be photographed, the images we have of them in our minds' eye will always be more true.

Maybe I'll play the video with my eyes closed.
Mrs Boyo said…
You passed the test, Gadjo. To gaze upon even a shabby Rrom simalcrum of my being is to risk turning into a piece of street masonry.
Gadjo Dilo said…
I did, Mrs B, I resisted, like an architypal fairy-tale prince, and the you I know is for ever preserved. Also, my Gyppo is still, for me, a snaggle-toothed, golden-earinged larrikin with a full head of lustrous, tousled hair.

Popular posts from this blog

FOOLING WITH SCHOOLING

One of the commonest figures to be found within TEFL is the aspiring administrator. This is a teacher who, often drained by years of repetitive, poorly remunerated clowning around in the classroom, seeks a position managing other teachers, such as Director of Studies (aptly and attractively known as "Doss"), from which they can sit in an imaginary TEFL director’s chair smoking a cigar, bellowing, “CUT!” and enjoying not having to pull a linguistic rabbit out of a hat twelve times a day, five days a week. I include myself within this TEFL subgenre, although my past experiences of administration have left me with an odd yearning to get back into the classroom and be king of my own modest sandcastle. In 2005, whilst I was working in HR at a local factory, my Brazilian friend Bert and I decided to start our own school. I had recently managed to wriggle out of a honey trap I’d set for myself, when I offered to give a free English course to my colleagues in the factory’s Training a...

TEFL ANTHEMS VOL. I

An interesting debate over at ELT World in answer to the question, Are your students learning anything? has got me all reflective. Many rock songs are claimed by religious maniacs to include subliminal messages when played backwards or by missing every sixth word or summat, but others are more easily deciphered. As TEFL anthems go, perhaps one of the most memorably haunting has to be Dave Gilmour/Roger Waters' bitterly ironic collaboration reflecting on TEFL one-to-one classes being taught abroad , Wish You Were Here : How I wish, how I wish you were here. We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl, Year after year, Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears. Wish you were here. As TEFL mongers we often feel like we're in a fish bowl, year after year , not least because the majority of our students exhibit the retention capacities of the goldfish. After painstakingly explaining that we use the preposition to after various verbs, the ...

NO MORE A-CUSSIN'

In an effort to rid himself of the habit of using foul language at the slightest provocation , a Facebook chum recently asked for suggestions for harmless expressions he could use in front of his Gran and her bingo clique during moments of high stress, astonishment and/or extreme disappointment. I weighed in with, " Crikey! " and, " Great Scott! " Please feel free to add your suggestions, and help to make the world a tiny bit less like a trucker's stopover in Eindhoven .