Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Saturday 19 September 2009

PEACE ARTISTRY

Some months ago, I was hurrying to the high street to make some urgent purchases when I was accosted by a waif in a state of great peturbation. He proceeded to recount to me a tragic tale of how his lorry had been hijacked by armed ruffians while making a delivery to a nearby factory.

"Why, that's abomnable, my man!" I cried, "We must summon the beadle forthwith!"
As I strode out towards the Police Station, a shabby building that periodically bursts into flames as incarcerated delinquents make incendiary protests as to their innocence, I became aware of the poor fellow trotting along beside me, gibbering excitedly.
"I've already informed the Police," he snapped, "and they're useless. It isn't worth even going there again."
"Well, what are we to do then?" I enquired.
"I need to get a bus to Campinas," he said, a city that lies a good two hours away by road. "Do you happen to have any money to help me buy a ticket?"
"Of course!" I cried thrusting a crisp note into his grimy paw.
"God bless you!" he called over his shoulder as he crossed the bridge, going in the opposite direction to where the buses passed, trying not to break into a run. A light feeling consumed my chest in the knowledge that I had, however insignificantly, helped a stranger in need.

Imagine my surprise when I saw the very same individual struggling to find the pavement as he emerged from a bar yesterday as I exercised my hound, his level of intoxication being such that he didn't acknowledge me as the good samaritan that helped him all those months ago. Indeed, I doubt he would have acknowledged his own mother, unless she was behind a bar doling out the pinga.

But it gives me some measure of satisfaction that, clearly moved by my humble act of selflessness, this gent decided to leave the city of Campinas and come and live among us - kindly folk always willing to help a stranger who has entered straits that may be described as dire.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the southern hemisphere's equivalent of Cranford.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger No Good Boyo said...

When I lived in Oxford (dear Oxford) in the early 90s, I once saw a couple of Russians' busking. Next to them was propped a sign saying "Russian students need money for pub!"

I deplored the exclamation mark, but gave generously for the only time in my life. A clear business plan always does it for me.

20 September 2009 at 12:50  
Blogger The TEFL Tradesman said...

Now there's an alternative lifestyle for me - alternative to TEFL, I mean.

And of course I'm not referring to the busking, but the inspired begging.

Be careful, MCW - the next itinerant supplicant you run into might just be Yours Truly!

21 September 2009 at 05:53  
Blogger Ms Scarlet said...

Mr Wardy, I need a season ticket to London... seriously, I do...
Sx

21 September 2009 at 06:56  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home