Skip to main content

GETTING LOST IN TRANSLATION

Those of us EFL teachers who ply our trade in non-English-speaking countries often fancy that a step left into translation may allow a little daylight to be peeked through the bars of our cell windows. Having been in Brazil for five years now, just such a cunning scheme recently filled me with muted enthusiasm, which was soon tempered by various aggravating factors.

Firstly, there is the vastly complex correlation between the intimacy of social bonds and the likelihood of actually receiving monetary payment for your work. Brazilians are instinctively herd animals, and once you have penetrated somebody’s inner group an unspoken regimen comes into play based on the exchange of favours. It is almost unthinkable for somebody to charge a friend anything for services rendered - it goes without saying that brotherly sentiments be expressed through toll-free gestures of kindness and fraternity.

This, as I have found to my cost, also extends to friends of friends. Last month a playmate passed a six-page translation for a cosmetics fair to me that he hadn’t had time to complete for an acquaintance of his wife’s, who works for a makeup maunfacturer. They needed the text the following morning, so I spent that evening duly drafting and perfecting it, before sending it back to them before the eight o’clock deadline the next day. Until today, not only have they not paid me, but they haven’t even expressed their gratitude. If anarchists wanted to bring down corporate capitalism in Brazil, their best bet would be to circulate the theory of the “six degrees of separation”, according to which we are all linked to any other person on the planet through, at the most, six people. Given this revelation, the entire economy would grind to a halt - nobody would end up paying anybody for anything.

I have recently been dabbling in two main forms of translation. One is for undergraduates who are required to write a summary of their dissertations in English (normally not running to more than a page) and the other is dreary doctoral theses on deeply obscure economic theory that, if presented to the likes of Alan Greenspan, I imagine would have him glancing at his watch and settling his distracted gaze on the ceiling tiles.

The former, though shorter, are often morbidly impenetrable texts that, whilst written on fairly straightforward subjects, suffer from a widespread tendency towards overelaboration. Many are the times that I have spent uncomfortable minutes questioning my Portuguese as I stare at the paper utterly confounded, before passing it round the family for second, third and fourth opinions formulated through the use of dictionaries, thesauri and Internet searches. My brother-in-law, who is a brain surgeon, recently took one such summary written by a student of Nursing to his bedroom to engage in some complex codebreaking, only to return half an hour later looking disoriented and mumbling incoherently.

I normally revert to one of two courses of action – strip it down to the barest of bones and produce a text a semi-literate child might copy to practise joined-up writing, or translate it literally into something approaching an extract from Finnegans Wake. The person marking it probably hasn’t even finished Headway Pre-Intermediate (New Edition!) anyway.

Pricing is another can of worms altogether. Eager to seek compensation for the bashing my brains were about to take from another masterpiece of macroeconomic masturbation, for the last thesis I received I resolved to daringly raise my levy by one real (approximately 50 US cents) per page. A deathly, and open-ended, radio silence has since descended.

One of my favourite novelists, Paul Auster, got his big break as a writer when he was asked to translate a Mexican movie script, and was handsomely remunerated for his trouble, according to his account of the episode. I still haven’t given up hope of being contracted by a Brazilian filmmaker, but I suspect that, instead of being financially rewarded, I’d have him cleaning my windows or washing my car for the next five years as part of some kind of primitive barter agreement.

Back to preparing the lessons...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey, that's a coincidence (of sorts, I suppose)! I'm a fan of Paul Auster's stuff too, and I have dabbled in the mystical field of translation.

I did actually manage to make some dosh out of it, but not eno8gh to keep mind, soul and body all together at the same time and place. The most annoying thing was that even Translation companies and agencies seemed to think it's a task that can be done while you're cooking a meal or running a bath.

I remember one student of mine in Spain asking me if I could translate (into Spanish, mind) some "musical stuff" that a pal of hers needed to hand in as some sort of essay or other. Only when she gave it to me did I realise that it was about 30 pages long, and was to be passed off as a student's thesis!!

I declined, obviously - they didn't offer me a bean in payment, and thought that I could just do it "mas o menos" in an evening!

Bloody students!!
M C Ward said…
This is turning into a Paul Auster novel - I was just over at your gaffe enlightening myself on your Guinness/Ramadan musings. I too am a Guinness sipper. Have you read Auster's the Red Notebook? Full of odd (and supposedly true) coincidences...
No Good Boyo said…
Rumour has it that a Russian attempted a translation of parts of Finnegans Wake, despite the political risks involved, and had them published in an edition of the Soviet Georgian literary magazine Literaturnaya Gruziya in 1939. Then the trail goes cold. I'll report back on any discoveries.
M C Ward said…
I can only assume you refer to Mikhail Klondikadze, darling of the pre-war Tblisi literati. Buoyed at having knocked out the definitive translation of Dubliners in a weekend, Klondikadze embarked upon his ill-fated Russian version of Joyce's dense masterpiece. Eight months on, and barely three paragraphs in, he threw himself in front of a passing troika. His suicide note, found amid empty Smirnoff bottles and scattered chess pieces, simply read, "Fuck this."

Popular posts from this blog

FOOLING WITH SCHOOLING

One of the commonest figures to be found within TEFL is the aspiring administrator. This is a teacher who, often drained by years of repetitive, poorly remunerated clowning around in the classroom, seeks a position managing other teachers, such as Director of Studies (aptly and attractively known as "Doss"), from which they can sit in an imaginary TEFL director’s chair smoking a cigar, bellowing, “CUT!” and enjoying not having to pull a linguistic rabbit out of a hat twelve times a day, five days a week. I include myself within this TEFL subgenre, although my past experiences of administration have left me with an odd yearning to get back into the classroom and be king of my own modest sandcastle. In 2005, whilst I was working in HR at a local factory, my Brazilian friend Bert and I decided to start our own school. I had recently managed to wriggle out of a honey trap I’d set for myself, when I offered to give a free English course to my colleagues in the factory’s Training a...

TEFL ANTHEMS VOL. I

An interesting debate over at ELT World in answer to the question, Are your students learning anything? has got me all reflective. Many rock songs are claimed by religious maniacs to include subliminal messages when played backwards or by missing every sixth word or summat, but others are more easily deciphered. As TEFL anthems go, perhaps one of the most memorably haunting has to be Dave Gilmour/Roger Waters' bitterly ironic collaboration reflecting on TEFL one-to-one classes being taught abroad , Wish You Were Here : How I wish, how I wish you were here. We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl, Year after year, Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears. Wish you were here. As TEFL mongers we often feel like we're in a fish bowl, year after year , not least because the majority of our students exhibit the retention capacities of the goldfish. After painstakingly explaining that we use the preposition to after various verbs, the ...

NO MORE A-CUSSIN'

In an effort to rid himself of the habit of using foul language at the slightest provocation , a Facebook chum recently asked for suggestions for harmless expressions he could use in front of his Gran and her bingo clique during moments of high stress, astonishment and/or extreme disappointment. I weighed in with, " Crikey! " and, " Great Scott! " Please feel free to add your suggestions, and help to make the world a tiny bit less like a trucker's stopover in Eindhoven .