Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Sunday 8 June 2008

TEFL ANTHEMS VOL. I

An interesting debate over at ELT World in answer to the question, Are your students learning anything? has got me all reflective.

Many rock songs are claimed by religious maniacs to include subliminal messages when played backwards or by missing every sixth word or summat, but others are more easily deciphered. As TEFL anthems go, perhaps one of the most memorably haunting has to be Dave Gilmour/Roger Waters' bitterly ironic collaboration reflecting on TEFL one-to-one classes being taught abroad, Wish You Were Here:


How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl,
Year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found?
The same old fears.
Wish you were here.


As TEFL mongers we often feel like we're in a fish bowl, year after year, not least because the majority of our students exhibit the retention capacities of the goldfish. After painstakingly explaining that we use the preposition to after various verbs, the next class is always a Dead Sea of blank faces as we ask the breezy question, What do you want to do tonight, João?, secretly hoping for the answer "emigrate" or "get that lobotomy I've been saving up for", but all we receive is the deeply inevitable "what means want?" (pronounced as in w*nk).

I have often felt like I'm in suspended animation in TEFL, like on that Nirvana album cover where the baby's bobbing about underwater in a silent yet transparent netherworld. I see life going on around me, people having careers - they may be getting promoted, being fired, whatever, but always there's some kind of movement involved, whether it be onwards and upwards or as part of a downward spiral - in TEFL, it's like we're endlessly treading water in the same place at the same time when we've just seen a Royal Navy frigate steam obliviously by - Year after year, Running over the same old ground.

The satisfaction derived from most jobs stems, I suspect, from the feeling of having achieved something. An architect designs and builds buildings, a pilot flies and lands his plane safely at its destination, even an accountant balances his books and passes audits, however soul-grindingly tedious this process might be. But in TEFL we're just passing time, talking at people, getting them to use all their mental powers to complete a gap-fill exercise, only for their total amnesia in subsequent classes to make us wonder if we haven't just dreamed the whole thing as part of some Kafka-esque nightmare. I have, to this day, never felt uniquely responsible for anybody managing to speak English fluently, my status only ever having reached that of poorly-motivated childrens' entertainer on their glacial trajectory towards blingualism.

I've had countless students stumble along through English classes for a couple of months, only to realise that they're wasting their time and money and bow out graciously, whilst never admitting that they're giving up, only that they're suddenly inexpicably busy, despite their state of unemployment. Then, when they realise they can't find a decent job because every Brazilian company ludicrously demands inglês fluente they troop back for another awkward stint of mental torment, only to eagerly duck out again when they find a job in a bar serving cachaça via funnels to monolingual, monosyllabic road workers.

I hereby cry: HELP!

14 Comments:

Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

Shit, this is a cry from the heart, MC. And I feel it may only be a reefer away from experimental poetry; in fact, my own humble suggestion would be that you now retire to a unobserved location with a bottle and write the TEFLers version of Allen Ginsburg's http://members.tripod.com/~Sprayberry/poems/howl.txt>Howl: it doesn't have to make too much sense, it might be cathartic, and a bloody good read too.

"What means want?" is analysable on so many levels. As you surely know.

10 June 2008 at 02:28  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Nil desperandum, MC. For every 400 lisping voids, you may steer one monoglot blimp into the burning fuel column of bilingualism.

"What means want?" A question worthy of Socrates. "Was Not Was" seems a fair answer.

10 June 2008 at 07:05  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Wow, Ginsberg certainly nailed the catharsis business. If I don't watch out I'll be reciting that in my sleep.

"What means want?" is readable on many levels, but one is enough, please God.

10 June 2008 at 09:43  
Blogger The TEFL Tradesman said...

Ooh, such overeducated, pessimistic and cynical gits, wallowing in your own talentless and ambitionless existences.

How I envy you!

So 'what means want', does it? I thought it always meant something along the lines of, erm, ... 'what'.

What?

10 June 2008 at 15:34  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

Ha, he's right! We're all wallowing in a pool of our own uselessly voided semen, with only our yapping tongues for paddles. How I wish I'd stayed on the family farm rogering the goats instead of bothering to take my GCSE general studies.

Btw, TEFL man, your comment on my "blog" was very much appeciated, I do hope to start start soon. Can you really sell me a suit of lights??

Can't somebody here help poor old MC and post a comment that's relavent to his original blog entry, which was about TEFL song lyrics, if I recall.

11 June 2008 at 15:11  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Thanks GD - at last some sanity trickles into the graveyard.

"...wallowing in a pool of our own uselessly voided semen, with only our yapping tongues for paddles" is a classic, by the way...

11 June 2008 at 16:13  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

I agree with MC. That Gadjo couplet must be the opening salvo of any TEFL anthem.

In my first few days at Swansea Uni (formerly Cwmdonkin Bowls Club) I longed to return to the simple life of a Meirionethshire shepherd - a collie, a 'kerchief of cheese and my own programme on S4C.

12 June 2008 at 02:44  
Blogger Well-lighted Shadows said...

After a day trying to explain why we move 'offices' not 'office', to two German law students, this post has tipped me over - I'm going to get plastered tmw.

12 June 2008 at 08:42  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Special, I hope it works for you. As Kerouac said, "My manners, abominable at times, can be sweet. As I grew older I became a drunk. Why? Because I like ecstasy of the mind. I'm a wretch. But I love, love."

Mind you, as far as I know, he didn't dabble in TEFL...

12 June 2008 at 09:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A guy ı work with is related to the late Syd Barrett.

13 June 2008 at 03:37  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

Thanks a lot for the commendation, chaps, it gives me a warm feeling inside.

I'm been wracking my brain to find Pink Floyd TEFL lyrics, but can only come up with the crashingly obvious ...Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone.

13 June 2008 at 04:48  
Blogger Well-lighted Shadows said...

Syd Barret, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, just seemed like a few teenagers in a garage to me.

Looking back on my comment of yesterday, i've made good on my promise, off to watch this - Jack Kerouac and William F. Buckley Junior:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCrXpKEiEbY

13 June 2008 at 09:22  
Anonymous Mark said...

That burning man caption is the funniest thing I have seen in a long while.
I teach EFL in Eastbourne and am approaching 50.
There may be some connection between the two.

11 April 2009 at 10:45  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Thanks for the comment, Mark.

I can let you have the lesson plan for free, though you'll have to buy your own paraffin... ;-)

11 April 2009 at 20:10  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home