Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Tuesday 24 June 2008

THAT DARN CAT

Whilst I have nothing against felines as a species, I do object to their ungratefulness. Recently a mangy cat fell, or was thrown, into our back yard and we had a hell of a job, that lasted over an hour, manhandling it through the house and out the front door without contracting an exotic zoonotic ailment as it struggled, scratched and bit as we approached the cauldron. Show said that the strange creature gave her the willies, it was so thin and had larger-than-necessary eyes.

Not five minutes later it was back mewing in the back yard again, clearly keen for a second chance to pass Feline panleukopenia to its unsuspecting saviours. Another half an hour's struggling and it was out the front door again.

Since then, there have appeared cat-style footprints on the bonnet of our white car every morning, normally leading up the windscreen and over the roof. "The scamp," we thought. Now things have escalated alarmingly.

Every morning we awake to find cat's business on the front of our vehicle. Not a little, a lot. It like he's inviting his whole family over, the evil little freak. Show, late as usual for an appointment with a wealthy client, sped off a couple of days ago without noticing the cat muck all over the shop, hardly conveying the slick, clean image of the stylish interior designer that has become her hallmark.

My question is: without resorting to unnecessary/expensive violence, is there anything that can dissuade the cat population from defecating in inappropriate places? You know, three parts Coca Cola, one part vinegar and three teaspoons of cement mix, spread in a circle around the area, or something.

Any help would be appreciated, before I set the dogs on 'em.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Put down orange or lemon peel where they go to the toilet, and the local cats will soon find somewhere else to, erm, go.

24 June 2008 at 18:47  
Blogger Clark said...

The cat defecated on the hood, er, bonnet of your car? I think you have highly offended the poor feline. I had a cat that left a calling card in my shoe once. I don't have it anymore.

24 June 2008 at 22:44  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Take a milk bottle, of Brazilians have such. Dispose of milk as you would normally.

Fill the bottle to the two-thirds mark with Ward piss, then top it up with cheapo vodka.

Pour it liberally around the target area.

The cat will think the world's largest, Russian moggy has staked out the territory, and will leave well alone.

The vodka neutralises the aroma of your night water, as far as the human nose is concerned.

Good luck.

25 June 2008 at 08:31  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Thanks, engelsk, I'll try your remedy.

Rotus, a bonnet is a hood to you, yes. I don't know what I've done to offend the creature, apart from keep two dogs and save it from being savaged by them.

NGB, at last I've found a use for the bottle of Zubrowka I gained in Poland. I have a feeling it may wipe out all life within a two-mile exclusion zone, but that's just a bonus.

25 June 2008 at 10:07  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

Really, I'm surprised that you, an educator of all things, are thinking in this way. By demarcating some areas as "appropriate" and others as "inappropriate" you are creating false boundaries that inhibit this animal's creativity and personal development.

30 June 2008 at 18:18  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home