Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Friday 25 July 2008

11 REASONS NOT TO STUMBLE UPON TEFL

Continuing my public-spirited series of Free TEFL Tips, here is a little list I tossed off last night when none of my students turned up. (Don't worry, I've learned not to take it personally.)


This list is totally personal and does not represent the opinions of any person, real or fictional, except myself.



11 REASONS NOT TO STUMBLE UPON TEFL (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER):


  1. You will receive a starting salary well below that of fellow undergraduates and it will remain largely unchanged for the rest of the century. Your Gran's earnings will easily outpace your own;

  2. You will be expected to be witty, bouncy and enthusiastic at all times, even if your house has just been repossessed or a favourite pet maimed in a freak glass blowing accident;

  3. You will start seeing caravaning as an economic holidaying alternative;

  4. You will find yourself joining calls for more bicycle lanes;

  5. You will be expected to relentlessly suffer gibbering incognates very gladly indeed;

  6. You will be expected to ditch all opinions that may be construed as individual or offensive to the arms dealers and/or corporate fanatics you are tutoring;

  7. To have any chance of professional progress, you will be expected to fork out large sums of your hard-earned salary on cash cow qualifications that few seem to pass first time;

  8. You will escape to foreign climes only to find that, while, if you're lucky, you're marginally better off financially, the job is exactly the same, only with all the complications that come from living abroad;

  9. Every time you take a day off sick, an effigy of you will be burned by both the teacher who had to replace you and/or the Director of Studies/school owner, who will feel vindicated in their belief that you are a recovering alcoholic who has plunged from the wagon;

  10. You will develop a passion for overwhelmingly desirable and impossibly complicated foreigners, and pine away into an emotional sack thing when they inevitably leave you for somebody real;

  11. You will spend your days feeling like a hamster on a wheel. A hamster on a wheel of a heavy goods vehicle.

Before I am accused of negativity, I shall soon be scraping together a list of reasons to suck TEFL and see.


11 Comments:

Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

Ouch, again. I'm convinced that some managable form of insanity is the only way to survive such employments. Being a fruitcake gives one mystique and makes one somehow impervious to the inevitable illogicalities of ones function.

I remain curious to hear how you sell the positive side of TEFL, but I'm glad you're going to try.

26 July 2008 at 00:45  
Blogger Sean said...

I added two more to the list on my blog.

26 July 2008 at 04:20  
Blogger Well-lighted Shadows said...

I must say it's number nine which is getting me at the moment - not only do I receive a joke like wage, but I can't even take a day off.

I asked for some days off so I could work for the government on a polling place test this week. Work finally confirmed they could give me the days of on Friday afternoon - now the govt probably doesn't want me because I've been saying maybe...er maybe.

SCREAM

26 July 2008 at 05:18  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

One way of getting back is to teach your students some infra dig accent, like Brummie or Carlisle. This way people would know they were idiots without having to wait for them to say much. You'd be doing everyone a favour.

28 July 2008 at 08:26  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

The more I think about it, it's Number 6 that's worries me most: I'd naively thought one could pretend to oneself that one was teaching future Joseph Conrads and Vladimir Nabokovs.

30 July 2008 at 03:08  
Blogger M C Ward said...

All wiser comments/suggestions than what I am capable of producing innit.

30 July 2008 at 08:39  
Blogger The TEFL Tradesman said...

That number three gets me, it does. Caravanning is the ONLY way to holiday, I reckon! The kids like it, and the wife doesn't mind being cooped up in a tin can for a fortnight or two. Beats slumming it in a B&B anytime!!

6 August 2008 at 10:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No good boyo - 'Carlisle' is not an accent. Cumbrian is.

Just saying.

6 August 2008 at 15:18  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Tefl Tradesman - reminds me of Ricky Gervais' comments on caravanning on Room 101 - childhood memories of waking up hearing his gran relieving herself into a bucket...

7 August 2008 at 15:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That list could well be enscribed on my gravestone.

21 August 2008 at 12:03  
Blogger Troy said...

I disagree with number 1...Particularly if you're teaching here in Spain.

Not only with you remain at your starting wage but when you take into account inflation, 5 years later you will see yourself collecting cigarette butts off of street corners just to make it to the end of the month.

3 September 2008 at 05:20  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home