Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Thursday 7 August 2008

11 REASONS TO SUCK TEFL AND SEE

It's taken me a while, but being a man of my word, I've come up with a list of eleven reasons to suck TEFL and see. I also dashed this one off during a student-free evening, which, if it hadn't been for the 30-minute drive each way through a raging thunderstorm to get there and back, would have warmed my cockles greatly.


So, here they are, my list of vaguely reasonable reasons why TEFL isn't as bad as I moan about it being. The opinions expressed below do not represent the opinions of anybody, living or dead or the living dead in TEFL, except my good self.


11 REASONS TO SUCK TEFL AND SEE (IN RANDOM ORDER)


  1. Most, if not all, jobs are worse in some way;

  2. You will have the opportunity to travel and make a living, either to avoid impending legal proceedings or for a simple love of the open road;

  3. You will have the opportunity to develop the patience of a saint, which, we are informed, is a virtue. Alternatively, you can see your work as an opportunity to show kindness, which is the root of all happiness, according to various enlightened beings;

  4. You will get to meet the occasional fascinating student, such as the middle-aged German artist I once taught who scrawled new vocabulary all over her body in black pen (cue Frankie Howerd, "Oooh, no, not down there!", etc, etc), or the Icelandic carpenter who instilled in me an ongoing urge to experience central heating in Reykjavik;

  5. You will get to meet and work closely with unnervingly engaging colleagues who'd give Frank Zappa a box-set-of-albums-worth of new songwriting material;

  6. When you are in the classroom, you will be the sitting tenant on your own private fiefdom, albeit a deeply pathetic one;

  7. Your bosses may be arses, but they are generally harmless eccentrics at heart, driven to behave as they do by spending their lives doing exactly what you're doing. They know that if they push you too far, you'll be off without even wiping;

  8. Dreams of fabulous riches will never keep you awake at night, which is probably a good thing, for as the Japanese saying goes, "The gods only laugh when men pray to them for wealth." It probably tickles language school owners the world over too;

  9. You will meet and develop a passion for overwhelmingly attractive and impossibly complicated foreigners, and may, by some atomic miracle, David Blaine them into marrying you. The rest of your life will then, with tragi-comic irony, become one long TEFL class, only with more sex and/or arguments;

  10. You will learn to enjoy the grim but heart-warming "Dunkirk Spirit", common only to TEFL staffrooms and regions under a state of emergency;

  11. You won't waste time on unrealistic fantasies of a life beyond making inane chat with generally sufferable, often decent, eggs.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Number 6 is my favourite!

8 August 2008 at 06:22  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

I agree. The TEFL motto ought to be:

"Je suis le ténébreux, --le veuf, --l'inconsolé
Le Prince d'Aquitaine à la tour abolie."

9 August 2008 at 06:02  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Simon Gray died the other day. His Quatermaine's Terms ought to be dear to every TEFL teacher - ever seen/read it?

12 August 2008 at 04:00  
Blogger M C Ward said...

I haven't, no, No (can I call you No?) - all sounds a bit near to the knuckle for me.

I need a sad play about TEFL like I need a bag on my hip.

12 August 2008 at 09:40  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

Yes, exploring the sadness of one's profession has a definite appeal but I fear it's the start of a slippery slope. I think one can tell that Morrissey never had a proper job. I'd like to see him get a class of Chinese through their Manc As A Second Language exams under fear of having his nads chopped off if he fails.

Number 9 would get me every time :-)

12 August 2008 at 11:26  
Blogger Well-lighted Shadows said...

number 5 is the saviour for me

Morrissey? That guy would never make it as a tefler.

13 August 2008 at 08:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fine list.

Let's face it, most of us at least end up somewhere warmer than where we grew up - A Chernobyl contaminated Yorkshire in my case.

21 August 2008 at 12:02  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home