Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Thursday 22 January 2009

I AM OFFICIALLY A SPANNER

Regular readers of this weblog, the longest resignation letter in history, may sometimes wonder, "If that M C Ward character doesn't like TEFL so much, look, why doesn't he do something about it, instead of carrying on doing it, like, and moaning about it? Know what I mean? He’s beginning to give me the right…” etc, etc.

This is, in fact, a question that baffles all three of us.

But I may have found an answer to this conundrum - I am officially a spanner.

Last time I visited the salty shores of my island brethren I stole a book from my sister called, "The Mind Gym" - subtitle, "Wake up your mind" (Time Warner Books, London, 2005 - RRP £ 12.99). I claimed at the time that I'd been reading it and had accidentally put it into my bag, a half-truth she has kindly forgotten about.

The book is classified in the Self-Development / Business category, and is packed with little reflections on How to Have Better Being a Person Skills, or something along those lines.

I plucked the dusty manual from its shelf in the library yesterday wondering if it would provide some slick fodder for my Business English wordfests, and I happened upon the chapter called, "In charge".

In it, there is the definition of the "spanner" and the "planner".

Broadly, when we have problems to face, "spanners" (so named because they are always throwing one into the works) concentrate on the problems - they fret about them without mustering the energy to do anything about them.

Planners, on the other hand, spend their time finding possible solutions and acting on them. Simple, yet elegant.

Here is an extract that was, I am now convinced, written about me personally. I reproduce it here in the hope it may fire others into taking action to free themselves from the bonds of inanity:

“Spanners worry about all the things that might go wrong which they feel they can’t do anything about, and are likely to

  • Be reactive, responding to what happens, often feeling like a victim, buffeted by events rather than leading them (yup)

  • Spend a lot of time worrying in ways that will drain their energy but won’t improve the situation (yes)

  • Blame and accuse other people for the problems and challenges in their life (sim)

  • Put off doing things for as long as possible, in the end often doing much more to achieve the same or a poorer result (I do, all the time)

  • Fail to take action that would be likely to improve their circumstances (I have been in TEFL for 15 years - need I say more?).

"The person who creates and then focuses on solutions we’ll call the “planner”, because they are coming up with a plan of action to tackle these problems.

"Their focus is on all the things they can do that might have a positive influence on the situation, and they are likely to have the opposite experience to the spanner. For example they are more likely to:

  • Take action proactively, doing things that will help

  • Feel more in control of the situation (and their life)

  • Find they have more free time to do what they want

  • Be seen as leaders and/or people who are strong

"Planners work out what they can do about the situation and concentrate on doing it. As a result they are more in control of their lives and get more done.

"The idea of having a locus of control was put forward by Julian Rotter in 1966. He suggested that externally orientated individuals (the spanners) typically believe that rewards in life are controlled by forces such as fate, luck or other people. People with an internal locus of control (the planners) tend to see events being triggered by their own behavior and capability."


This is it. Nothing can stop me now.

10 Comments:

Blogger The TEFL Tradesman said...

But more than anything, my dear Mr Ward, you've fallen for one of the oldest tricks in the book - the 'false dichotomy'. Life is about more than just two choices - it's not simply God or the Devil, or even Chelsea or Liverpool.

And I'm sure you know that, too. But we all seem to like to get suckered into making some simplified choices at times, for some reason. Well, some people do...

Anyway, stop reading all that childish twaddle and get on with your life, man. Do what you can do, and do it as best you can.

I used to divide humanity into three groups - leaders, followers, and observers. But then I realised that there were some people with elements of two, or even all three.

So, what do I do - throw away the paradigm, or just take it as a flawed system, and look for ways of adding to it? I guess it's the second. But - oh no! - another false dichotomy!!

22 January 2009 at 16:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't all the best writers spanners?

22 January 2009 at 21:51  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

Of course, planners can "free themselves from the bonds of inanity" (read "spannerty") because they get other people to do stuff. This is certainly a way forward for the planners, and maybe it's now your turn to enjoy a slice of their pie - I do hope so!

Phew, wise words there from TEFL T. It was Watford FC or Luton FC where I grew up - how false a dichotomy was that.

23 January 2009 at 04:33  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Tradesman, you're right, of course, that life cannot be simplified to such an extent, but the fact remains that this decription of a "spanner" is a description of me, to a T.

Often we (or at least I) get into negative mental habits we don't even notice, they become so much a part of us. Having something pinpoint this is always useful.

Alex, if I made money from writing and were one of the best writers, your words would warm my cockles.

Inspector Gadjo, I will use what and who I need to achieve world domination. My local team was AFC Bournemouth, count yourself lucky.

24 January 2009 at 14:24  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

I'm with the Tradesman. Model yourself on a corrupt bueaucrat from a hot country in the 1930s and you'll be ok in any position. Think of Reynaud in Casablanca.

24 January 2009 at 18:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brighton and Hove Albion. Do you think if we'd been living near Old Trafford we would've been more of a success in the UK and never have needed to get into TEFL? Or is seeing the Swedish and Spanish EF students arrive each summer in Bournemouth and Eastbourne the link??

25 January 2009 at 00:43  
Blogger Well-lighted Shadows said...

resignation letter - these two words jumped out at me, and for a moment I was truly happy for you.

But on closer inspection...interesting, but self-help books are complete twaddle as the tradesman says

yours the wrench

26 January 2009 at 06:53  
Blogger Gyppo Byard said...

The idea was put forward by somebody called 'Julian Rotter'?

Oh come on - that has to be a character from a bad 1930s novel, doubtless played by Terry-Thomas with a suspiciously thin moustache in the Ealing Comedy screen version...

27 January 2009 at 08:22  
Blogger M C Ward said...

I don't think you gentlemen realise just how mentally ill I really am.

28 January 2009 at 10:54  
Blogger Gyppo Byard said...

Au contraire Wardy - we think you make perfect sense, and are one of us.

Should we be worried about what this says about us?

29 January 2009 at 08:35  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home