Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Tuesday 16 December 2008

MARIA THE BIG LESBIAN

It would be quite wrong to suggest that December heralds the start of the party season in Brazil, as since Carnaval people have been pretty much in the swing of things. The Christmas period merely increases the frequency, volume and festivity of knees-ups.

Show's septuagenarian aunt (who, incidentally, has recently been crowned Miss Senior Citizen both for our town and for the state of São Paulo, with the Miss Senior Citizen Brazil contest taking place in Natal early next year) organised the first of what will inevitably be many parties on Saturday night, a typical affair which followed the usual pattern - everybody standing around eating with relish, everybody standing around drinking in moderation, then everybody dancing with total abandon.

To be honest, I wasn't really in a party mood (something Show was quick to point out to me from between clenched teeth), but I have to admit that my back's still giving me jip from my entry into the collective hysteria into which Brazilian galas invariably descend. It was when the DJ (Show's aunt) put on the Marchinhas de Carnaval things really got going. The lyrics hark back to an earlier, stranger time, with such classic lines as:

Mamãe eu quero,
Mamãe eu quero,
Mamãe eu quero mamar

Mother I want to,
Mother I want to,
Mother I want to breast feed


and the delightfully non-PC “Maria the Big Lesbian”:


Maria sapatão, sapatão, sapatão,
De dia é Maria,
De noite é João.

Maria the big lezzer, big lezzer, big lezzer,
By day she's Maria,
At night she's John


continuing in a similar vein,


Olha a cabeleira do Zezé,
Será que ele é?
Será que ele é?
Bicha! (everybody shouting)

Look at Zezé's hair,
Do you reckon he is?
Do you reckon he is?
Poofter! (everybody shouting)


Ah the innocence of past epochs.

I am consistently amazed at how Brazilians manage to do parties, family gatherings, in fact anything collective, with such genuine joy. All the grandmothers were dancing. A mother was dancing with a sleeping babe in her arms. Even an ex-con with a history of violence was getting it on.

It's a far cry from British assemblages, where only the youngest and least self-conscious / drunkest venture into the limelight. I once had a girlfriend who recounted how her Irish father used to ruin her chances at every wedding reception by suddenly appearing in front of her performing his own unique Irish dance, arms firmly clamped to his sides, all frenzied kicking and hopping, this in the days long before Michael Flatley made such practices hugely profitable / socially acceptable.

I could be on a different planet. And I'm rather glad of that.

8 Comments:

Blogger El Gringo Vasco said...

hey there,

was just cruising the blogosphere. nice to see that ur still up to it, writing great stuff. keep it up!

16 December 2008 at 17:47  
Blogger Ms Scarlet said...

Hmmm... British Dad dancing...
I must admit that I am no longer a teenager [shocking confession, I know] but I still get trolleyed and make a ridiculous mess on the dancefloor.... I should be stopped.
Sx

16 December 2008 at 21:09  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

I wish I was there MC. This may sound perverse, but I've always had a huge affection for grans who dance - they really appreciate a bit of young maaan attention yet there's no danger of waking up with them the next morning.

17 December 2008 at 04:33  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

"n yet there's no danger of waking up with them the next morning."

Gadjo, I suggest you stay away from Harper's night club in Swansea.

MC, is there a minority of Brazilians who can't get on down/up? The Viennese are taught to waltz at school. Do your adopted compatriots have gyration/homophobia classes from age 7?

17 December 2008 at 08:28  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

Ahh, Boyo, I wish you'd told me about this place earlier! The hip-swivelling/homophobia intersection that is Brazilian manhood has always puzzled me; I'm hoping MC can shed some light one day.

17 December 2008 at 13:53  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Hi gang,

Thanks for dropping by Gringo. Scarlet, you are a drop in the nation of drunken dancers - it's just the way we're built.

Gadjo - be careful what you wish for.

Boyo / Gadjo - I think the homophobia is largely playful. Brazilians need something to poke fun at others, be it weight, height, wearing a moustache (which invariably provokes the use of the nickname bigode), etc. As for the samba instinct, I don't have a clue - maybe its some supplement women take during pregnancy.

22 December 2008 at 10:41  
Blogger Ms Scarlet said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS MR WARDY!
SXX

24 December 2008 at 18:30  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Happy New Year, MC. Setting the tone/Straight off the bone.

4 January 2009 at 06:07  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home