Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Thursday 24 December 2009

WHY DO I BOTHER?

The following happened today. I started chuckling, then after a short time found myself openly weeping.


- My Christmas text message to some of my students of English:

"Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and health, wealth and happiness for 2010!"



- The response from Francisco, whom I have been teaching for the last five months:

"Tanks"



Any way, Mery Crismas everbody!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger No Good Boyo said...

This is Latin America.Perhaps that was his ante-golpe Xmas wishlist for El Santa.

Happy New Year, young feller!

26 December 2009 at 08:58  
Blogger AlexPup said...

Weigh 2 go . .. . lol

26 December 2009 at 12:36  
Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

"Tanx" would have been even better, but maybe he wants to learn English so he can get a job in Brasil's burgeoning arms industry! Happy New Year, young Master Ward.

29 December 2009 at 03:18  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Thanks irmãos. I just thank my lucky estrelas that I don't have to entirely rely on this tomfoolery to make a living any more.

A healthy, juicy 2010 to all!

29 December 2009 at 10:03  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home