Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Tuesday 23 October 2007

HE'S GETTING ALL "SIMULTANEOUS" ON US

I have been reduced by the fragile Brazilian electrical energy infrastructure to writing this in a Cyber Café. An entertaining Sunday evening's in-house pyrotechnics ended with a burnt-out PC, exploding lightbulbs (and I wasn't even singing), six hours of darkness and Show fleeing into a frightful panic and manning the lifeboats far too early.

Tomorrow I have to don a suit and tie and head for São Paulo to take part as a Brazilian - English interpreter in a two-hour video conference meeting on high finance. I've never done this before, but have been compelled to make an attempt by economic necessity, natural vanity and a taste for some linguistic Russian Roulette.

If I can pull it off, the TEFL chains could be loosening, if not, I could be arrested and end up on the chain gang. If it's the latter, I appreciate your support over the past few months and I will be writing an interesting blog from an inhumanly overcrowded cell in a São Paulo penitentiary, whilst offering English classes to fellow inmates in return for a guarantee of sexual abstinence. Being a stout, pale blonde in Brazil has its disadvantages, too, you know - it's not all kissy lips and fancy trainers...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Good luck. Perhaps you could camp it up in clink and put off all those machoes. Just a thought. I've seen that Kiss of the Spiderwoman.

24 October 2007 at 06:15  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Interesting tactical vision. Carandiru featured similar cross-dressing strategies.

25 October 2007 at 11:23  
Blogger El Gringo Vasco said...

a suit and tie in the tropical summer!!??

are you mad?

26 October 2007 at 21:04  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Unfortunately, one has to be prepared to sweat for one's art. In any case, from the waist down I was in a pair of bermudas and Havaianas.

26 October 2007 at 21:11  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home