Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Tuesday 16 October 2007

EX-TEFL TEACHERS DON'T MAKE GOOD SOLDIERS - PART 2

After my dalliance with the nation’s seaborne defence force, the rest of my university career progressed without further incident, except for an abortive attempt to join the Hong Kong Police. I think my problem was uniforms. Whereas most men spent their energies on trying to persuade sexual partners to dress up as policewomen, maids, nuclear plant workers, etc, I would cut out the middle man and amuse myself for hours in a matching set of khaki fatigues and a pith helmet (see picture – please note, this is not me).

My colleague E, the demented bigot, was probably the one person who, more than anybody else, persuaded me that a career in The Army would be a step forward. A year into my TEFL adventure, he was displaying such spectacular symptoms of mental meltdown, accompanied by a raging self-loathing apparently based on the fact that his salary hadn’t risen significantly for about fifteen years, that I felt compelled to leave the burning deck before I too became accustomed to the idea of caravaning as an economic holiday option.

One Monday morning I was walking along a corridor in the school, when a classroom door burst open and a hysterical Swiss woman spilled out, wailing in an advanced state of agitation. “Is he mad?” she screeched, “is he mad?”, as she half-ran, half-staggered into the school garden like a victim escaping a sudden building collapse. I poked my head around the door and, sure enough, a pair of deranged, paranoid eyes glared back at me as if belonging to the most junior private at Rourke’s Drift who’d just heard the Zulu drums for the first time. They prompted me into a judicious silence, but it turned out later that E had been burgled for about the eleventh time the day before, and his revenge, exacted upon the innocent Swiss lawyer, had been as swift as it had been without logical foundation. In the interview to discern her level of spoken English, E had peevishly destroyed her obviously imperfect conjugation of verbs, together with her self-confidence, and left her, along with the rest of us, questioning his suitability for living in the community.

But I digress. My plan now was to join The Army as an officer in the Educational and Training Services branch of the Adjutant General’s Corps, formerly the Royal Army Educational Corps. The job seemed perfect – teaching some English to foreign military officers being trained in the UK, learning and then teaching foreign languages to British officers being sent abroad, and best of all, running a course for non-commissioned officers who wanted to gain a commission by rising through the ranks. This involved taking them to the theatre, art galleries, great European cities... making them posher, in other words. I greedily filled out my application forms, sent them off to the Regimental Headquarters in Beaconsfield, and started the arduous process of getting physically fit.


PART THREE TO FOLLOW SHORTLY...


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Your career path makes cracking copy, young man. At college I made the mistake of expressing an interest in the Intelligence Corps. The tacky-palmed inverts spent the next three years pursuing me around London University with offers of a commission in return for translating Russian tank manuals. All I wanted to do was pretend to write a thesis while toying with the affections of overheated lady librarians. The Corps seemed to be a refuge for MI6 types whose feet didn't fit in normal shoes.

17 October 2007 at 19:09  
Blogger M C Ward said...

If I may say so, The Army's loss was literature's gain.

18 October 2007 at 01:08  
Blogger Wally Windsor said...

You know, I once had the hots for 'Captain Mainwaring' of Dad's Army, and consequently tried to combine a career in banking with chasing after young men in a Territorial Army uniform at weekends.

It was only when I volunteered to act as a translator for 'the lads' in the Falklands / Malvinas, back in '82, that my mum put a stop to all my goings-on (and comings-off) in uniform. Shame, really...

18 October 2007 at 13:23  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Mainwaring was a class act, but I based myself more on Lofty from It Ain't Half Hot, Mum.

20 October 2007 at 10:40  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home