Skip to main content

JOBSEARCH UPDATE!

For those who worry about me, I have some good news - my jailer might have dropped my cell key, and by bending a coathanger, I may just be able to pull it under the door. I've been asked to go to São Paulo next week to do a voice test to be a narrator for a video production company. Further down the line, this could be my long-awaited passport into vaudeville.

I have to choose a text, roughly a page of A4 long, to recite during said dry run. My shortlist currently comprises:
  1. Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas - an opportunity for a crude Richard Burton rip-off;
  2. The Rape of the Lock by Alexander Pope - in my humble opinion, the greatest, and longest, poem ever written in any language about hair;
  3. Krapp's Last Tape by Samuel Beckett - this strident monologue may better exhibit my full range;
This is just an instinctive first draft - please feel free to add your suggestions.

Comments

No Good Boyo said…
It's got to be Dylan! "Hello boys, I'm dead." A very effective chat-up line at funerals in Llwchwr. I was once asked to record the McDonalds slogan "I'm lovin' it" in Ukrainian, but found my loyalty to Burger King ran deeper than I had ever imagined. Pob lwc, goboi.
Good luck with the 'opportunity'. Just don't forget your friends when you're coining it, OK?!

Mine's a large bottle of Jamesons, by the way...
M C Ward said…
Thanks for your support, guys, I weep a silent tear. Thanks nada bom menino for confirming my first instincts - there's something irresistable about short drunk Welch versemongers.
I do hope things have gone well for you. But won't the "accent of the valleys" be a barrier to understanding?

Or will you be sober?
M C Ward said…
My accent is Estaury English unless I'm watching rugby or singing Myfanwy. As for my state of inebriation, if I can control the delerium tremens, I'll be going cold turkey.

Popular posts from this blog

FOOLING WITH SCHOOLING

One of the commonest figures to be found within TEFL is the aspiring administrator. This is a teacher who, often drained by years of repetitive, poorly remunerated clowning around in the classroom, seeks a position managing other teachers, such as Director of Studies (aptly and attractively known as "Doss"), from which they can sit in an imaginary TEFL director’s chair smoking a cigar, bellowing, “CUT!” and enjoying not having to pull a linguistic rabbit out of a hat twelve times a day, five days a week. I include myself within this TEFL subgenre, although my past experiences of administration have left me with an odd yearning to get back into the classroom and be king of my own modest sandcastle. In 2005, whilst I was working in HR at a local factory, my Brazilian friend Bert and I decided to start our own school. I had recently managed to wriggle out of a honey trap I’d set for myself, when I offered to give a free English course to my colleagues in the factory’s Training a...

TEFL ANTHEMS VOL. I

An interesting debate over at ELT World in answer to the question, Are your students learning anything? has got me all reflective. Many rock songs are claimed by religious maniacs to include subliminal messages when played backwards or by missing every sixth word or summat, but others are more easily deciphered. As TEFL anthems go, perhaps one of the most memorably haunting has to be Dave Gilmour/Roger Waters' bitterly ironic collaboration reflecting on TEFL one-to-one classes being taught abroad , Wish You Were Here : How I wish, how I wish you were here. We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl, Year after year, Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears. Wish you were here. As TEFL mongers we often feel like we're in a fish bowl, year after year , not least because the majority of our students exhibit the retention capacities of the goldfish. After painstakingly explaining that we use the preposition to after various verbs, the ...

I AM OFFICIALLY A TIT

Show recently extracted the wind from my sails with typically well-intentioned down-to-earthism. Armed with several diagrams and a kitchen knife , she extolled her opinion that I should concentrate on doing what I can do and stop fannying around trying to learn how to do things I can’t , in yet another feeble-minded attempt to divorce myself from TEFL. Yet again, I believe her to be right. It all started back in May, when I went to Poland with my male voice choir and on the plane to Frankfurt found myself sitting next to Jetro, one of our second tenors. I’d never really spoken to him before, but during the trip I discovered that he ran a small yet growing Internet company , an online system through which owners of used car dealerships could manage their businesses. He explained how previously he’d been something of a factotum, working around the country in various jobs and starting various businesses, until he discovered that he could neither work for somebody nor manage others –...