Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Thursday 11 October 2007

JOBSEARCH UPDATE!

For those who worry about me, I have some good news - my jailer might have dropped my cell key, and by bending a coathanger, I may just be able to pull it under the door. I've been asked to go to São Paulo next week to do a voice test to be a narrator for a video production company. Further down the line, this could be my long-awaited passport into vaudeville.

I have to choose a text, roughly a page of A4 long, to recite during said dry run. My shortlist currently comprises:
  1. Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas - an opportunity for a crude Richard Burton rip-off;
  2. The Rape of the Lock by Alexander Pope - in my humble opinion, the greatest, and longest, poem ever written in any language about hair;
  3. Krapp's Last Tape by Samuel Beckett - this strident monologue may better exhibit my full range;
This is just an instinctive first draft - please feel free to add your suggestions.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger El Gringo Vasco said...

break a leg!

11 October 2007 at 13:29  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

It's got to be Dylan! "Hello boys, I'm dead." A very effective chat-up line at funerals in Llwchwr. I was once asked to record the McDonalds slogan "I'm lovin' it" in Ukrainian, but found my loyalty to Burger King ran deeper than I had ever imagined. Pob lwc, goboi.

11 October 2007 at 14:09  
Blogger EnglishTeacher365 said...

Good luck with the 'opportunity'. Just don't forget your friends when you're coining it, OK?!

Mine's a large bottle of Jamesons, by the way...

11 October 2007 at 19:25  
Blogger M C Ward said...

Thanks for your support, guys, I weep a silent tear. Thanks nada bom menino for confirming my first instincts - there's something irresistable about short drunk Welch versemongers.

12 October 2007 at 00:27  
Blogger The Sandpit Scullion said...

I do hope things have gone well for you. But won't the "accent of the valleys" be a barrier to understanding?

Or will you be sober?

14 October 2007 at 16:00  
Blogger M C Ward said...

My accent is Estaury English unless I'm watching rugby or singing Myfanwy. As for my state of inebriation, if I can control the delerium tremens, I'll be going cold turkey.

14 October 2007 at 21:49  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home