Skip to main content

POLL RESULTS IN

The TEFL Graveyard Poll has now closed, with a staggering seven votes, two of which I made from different computers in a misguided attempt to get the ball rolling.

In answer to the question, “If I could teach English to anybody living or dead, my choice would be...”, the results, in reverse order, are as follows:

Mother Teresa (Albanian nun) – 0 votes (0 %) – Perhaps unsurprising this one. Selfless acts of altruism need no translation.

Marcel Marceau (French mime) – 0 votes (0%) – Given that Monsieur Marceau spent his life communicating in his own unique form of sign language, it can only be assumed that he didn’t even speak French, perhaps due to having no roof to his mouth or summat. Bit of a trick option that one.

Tabatha Cash (French liberal) – 1 vote (14%) – Although she has sadly now retired, I became an admirer of Ms Cash’s work as a socially inept adolescent. I’ve always wondered about her opinions on the future of European Union integration and whether the Maastricht Treaty was really a fair deal for all member states. There was a time when I’d have been more than willing to pump her for information on these and other issues of national sovereignty (provided there were no cameras involved), but a man can only send fan mail thrice-weekly for so many years before a reluctance to enter into dialogue becomes a restraining order.

Genghis Khan (Mongolian Club 18-30* Rep) – 2 votes (28%) – Two courageous educators elected the widely-feared oriental marauder as their number one choice. Imagine how history might have taken a different, less scorched path had a bilingual GK been able to make pacts with neighbouring nations over a cup of tea rather than just sack, burn and depredate. The Volga Bulgars may even have beaten the British to industrialisation.

David Beckham (English Club 18-30 pin-up) – 4 votes (57%) – Comment is unnecessary.

* - Club 18-30, formerly known as the Young Conservatives, is a British youth training charity that aims to promote the acquisition of life skills through study abroad programs. Their motto, unofficially attributed to ex-Tory Chancellor of the Exchequer, Norman Lamont, is “Nothing is sacred, if it's going to be a good laugh then we're in.”

Comments

Anonymous said…
I chose Genghis Khan for precisely the reasons you stated. Plus trying to teach Beckham would be too frustrating.
M C Ward said…
You're as wise as you are brave.
Is it too late to add a vote for ... Cliff Richards? Or wasn't he on the ballot sheet, anyway?
PS: I have noticed that your grasp of the intricacies of the English language appears to be slipping; namely...

"Although now retired, I became an admirer of Ms Cash’s work as a socially inept adolescent"

Come on, now - pay attention Taffy! It reads as though YOU have retired, and that Ms Cash was a socially inept adolescent!!

Had me in stitches, though, boyo!
M C Ward said…
You're quite right, much as I'd like to have retired, I'm merely resting. I will make the necessary adjustments.

Popular posts from this blog

FOOLING WITH SCHOOLING

One of the commonest figures to be found within TEFL is the aspiring administrator. This is a teacher who, often drained by years of repetitive, poorly remunerated clowning around in the classroom, seeks a position managing other teachers, such as Director of Studies (aptly and attractively known as "Doss"), from which they can sit in an imaginary TEFL director’s chair smoking a cigar, bellowing, “CUT!” and enjoying not having to pull a linguistic rabbit out of a hat twelve times a day, five days a week. I include myself within this TEFL subgenre, although my past experiences of administration have left me with an odd yearning to get back into the classroom and be king of my own modest sandcastle. In 2005, whilst I was working in HR at a local factory, my Brazilian friend Bert and I decided to start our own school. I had recently managed to wriggle out of a honey trap I’d set for myself, when I offered to give a free English course to my colleagues in the factory’s Training a...

TEFL ANTHEMS VOL. I

An interesting debate over at ELT World in answer to the question, Are your students learning anything? has got me all reflective. Many rock songs are claimed by religious maniacs to include subliminal messages when played backwards or by missing every sixth word or summat, but others are more easily deciphered. As TEFL anthems go, perhaps one of the most memorably haunting has to be Dave Gilmour/Roger Waters' bitterly ironic collaboration reflecting on TEFL one-to-one classes being taught abroad , Wish You Were Here : How I wish, how I wish you were here. We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl, Year after year, Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears. Wish you were here. As TEFL mongers we often feel like we're in a fish bowl, year after year , not least because the majority of our students exhibit the retention capacities of the goldfish. After painstakingly explaining that we use the preposition to after various verbs, the ...

I AM OFFICIALLY A TIT

Show recently extracted the wind from my sails with typically well-intentioned down-to-earthism. Armed with several diagrams and a kitchen knife , she extolled her opinion that I should concentrate on doing what I can do and stop fannying around trying to learn how to do things I can’t , in yet another feeble-minded attempt to divorce myself from TEFL. Yet again, I believe her to be right. It all started back in May, when I went to Poland with my male voice choir and on the plane to Frankfurt found myself sitting next to Jetro, one of our second tenors. I’d never really spoken to him before, but during the trip I discovered that he ran a small yet growing Internet company , an online system through which owners of used car dealerships could manage their businesses. He explained how previously he’d been something of a factotum, working around the country in various jobs and starting various businesses, until he discovered that he could neither work for somebody nor manage others –...