Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Monday 18 August 2008

BEIJING OLYMPICS CHALLENGE

Can anybody name another country, apart from Brazil, where one of their Olympic competitors has a nickname deriving from a children's TV character emblazoned on the back of her shirt, rather than her real name, due to some vague-to-unidentifiable resemblance?



Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Fofão (Big Softy/Cutie, right), and a Brazilian ladies volleyball player, real name unknown (left).

2 Comments:

Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

We're very big on The Olympics here in the Dilo household: Mrs D. used to be an ace sprinter in her schooldays, and Nadia Comăneci still wins prizes for being The Romanian That Least Makes You Think We Are All Gypsies. We cheered a Brazilian swimmer called Cesar (...something) because he's a Caesar like we all like to think we are. I'm afraid that this Ms. Fofão slipped our attention though, sorry. Is there a Synchronised Samba event?

18 August 2008 at 19:55  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

The British equivalent would have to be called Sooty, which would rather takes us back to aspects of 1970s humour that we'd rather forget.

20 August 2008 at 05:51  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home