Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Thursday 14 August 2008

CHEATING FOREIGNERS - PART I

The British, for those who love simplistic generalisations, can be broadly divided into two camps - the pro-Europeans, and the more or less xenophobic. The former can be found sitting outside cafés around Britain in sub-zero temperatures sipping a latte macchiato and moaning about the cold in a forlorn attempt to recreate a recent camping holiday in Riccione, where they sat outside seafront cafés and moaned about the heat.


They use a GB sticker on their car with the European Union stars on it, and enjoy using the Euro as something far simpler than dealing with tens of thousands of lire. They are the kind of people who become Host Families for foreign students (at least until the henpecked husband starts developing a muted but rather obvious crush on the latest Russian madame). The latter, on the other hand, demonstrate a love for tweed and Barbour jackets, shooting things, Land Rovers and an almost erotic relationship with the pound sterling. Both groups are driven largely by emotion rather than reason. I had always considered myself firmly part of the former group, but that was before I took a test to join the European Commission in the early nineties, and subsequently bought myself a Barbour Bedale jacket.

My late father was wrong about some things (notably Terry Wogan's use of hairpieces, the giving back of the Falkland Islands to Argentina, the imminent return to the use of the horse as the world's preferred means of transport, though history may yet bear him out on all three), but he was right about many. "If you want to travel the world," he once advised me, "do it at the Government's expense." He urged me to try for the Diplomatic Service, but I was either hungover, drunk or planning my next poetic binge, and resentfully failed to pay any attention to his conservative, bourgeois opinionating.

His comments were inspired by the fact that he'd spent 12 years during the fifties and early sixties living in Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia), where he had gone to join the Northern Rhodesia Police as an adventurous 21-year-old. At the time, travel to and from Africa was still common by sea, so he had enjoyed a three-week voyage first-class every eighteen months as he came home on leave and returned to his adopted country.

Apart from regaling us with impossible crocodile stories and tales of witchdoctors and tribal chiefs, he didn't really talk much about his experiences, and somehow never got around to jotting down some memoirs about where he was stationed and when, and other day-to-day details that would make fascinating reading for our potted family history. Only at his funeral did I find out in just what esteem he had been held, when ex-colleagues I'd never even heard of appeared and paid glowing tributes to his memory. I hadn't known, for example, that he'd been singled out to be sent to the volatile region near the border with the Belgian Congo when pro-independence unrest broke out due to his negotiating skills and, not least, the fact that, unlike the vast majority of his colleagues, he'd taken the trouble to learn a local language, Bemba, fluently. He'd also broken with the common practice of promoting only European officers and had prioritised putting African officers in positions of responsibility. But I digress from my original thrust, Foreigners and How They Can't Be Trusted, a premise I shall prove beyond reasonable doubt in Part Two.



PART TWO TO FOLLOW SHORTLY.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

Wonderfully interesting stuff about your father, MC. I hope he took the opportunity to pepper his everyday conversation with some choice Bemba.

Foreigners are like weeds: not bad per se, but usually getting in the way.

15 August 2008 at 02:06  
Blogger Well-lighted Shadows said...

Great stuff, and I hear on the wanting to know more of your own family's history.

Regardless of your point of view on the British Empire (and colonialism as a whole), the men and women who built and ran the thing had fascinating lives.

I just read a very interesting book called 'Empire Made Me' about an English Policeman in Shanghai. The 'imperial police' lived a strange life, excluded from the fun the upper-class consuls, businessmen and the like were having as well as being none too popular with the local community. They held the empire together though. Orwell's Burmese Days is another interesting one on the subject.

I wish I knew more about my Welsh Grandfather being in Palestine in '48.

15 August 2008 at 04:30  
Blogger M C Ward said...

GD, funnily enough, he only spoke Bemba in retirement when trying to speak French during classes with a neighbour. Suddenly it all came back to him.

SBM, family history is a fascinating subject. Those books sound good, I may well check them out. I'm currently reading Blood River by Daily Telegraph hack Tim Butcher, in which he traces Stanley's route when first mapping the Congo River. It's gripping stuff.

15 August 2008 at 14:40  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Bears out my long-standing conviction that travel narrows the mind in an wholly salutary manner.

Before heading off to the Soviet Union in 1985 I was your average badge-wearing Student Grant. I returned, and remain, a Cold Warrior.

Three years in Uzbekistan taught me a deep contempt for the United Nations and all of its agencies.

Having friends who work for the European Union showed that it takes its bureaucracy and morals from Southern Europe and its money from the North.

Being in Ukraine during the Orange Revolution demonstrated that the United States, despite what The Guardian/Independent thinks, does not control much of anything anywhere, and that the European Union, despite its foibles, works with remarkable effect behind the scenes when it puts its octopus mind to it.

I look forward to Part Two.

18 August 2008 at 04:51  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home