Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Friday 22 August 2008

WATCH WITH WARDY TOO

DIVA – Jean-Jacques Beineix, 1981

Like many of my generation, my bedroom wall at University featured a poster of big-knockered French actress Beatrice Dalle in the film Betty Blue, the cult student classic of the early nineties. The same director debuted with this film in 1981, and for me it is far superior. I first watched it after reading in Smash Hits magazine that it was Duran Duran keyboardist Nick Rhodes’ favourite film, as a confused fifteen-year-old. Despite being French, it’s the epitome of the stylish thriller, and actually manages to make opera cool. The story of a Parisian postman who inadvertently gets into trouble with two different underworld organisations at the same time, it’s beautifully shot and has a surprisingly classy script. Beatrice Dalle doesn’t feature, but to be honest, this movie does very well without knockers, big or otherwise.



Favourite line:
Quelque chose artistique et francaise.


LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA – Crint Eastwood, 2006

Another unashamedly mainstream choice, this is a war movie with a difference. Neither hawkish nor mawkish, it’s hard to remember when watching this compassionate piece of work that Eastwood once starred in several films alongside a monkey. Telling the story of the Japanese defence of the island of Iwo Jima from the Japanese point of view, based on letters sent by soldiers stationed there to their loved ones back home, it shows that, deep down, we are all the same, if that’s not too much of a glaring cliché.



Favourite line:
I will always be in front of you.


THE ODD COUPLE – Gene Saks, 1968

One of the great comic partnerships in a film written by one of the best comic writers. What more is there to add? Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau star as two divorcees sharing an apartment, one obsessed with tidiness and order and the other a fun loving slob. Many great lines from the comedy writer who “never wrote a joke.”



Favourite line:
Murray:
What difference does it make? He took a whole bottle!
Oscar Madison: Well, maybe they were vitamins! He could be the healthiest one in the room!


12 ANGRY MEN – Sidney Lumet, 1957

The ultimate courtroom drama, a tense, claustrophobic movie that boasts a telling performance from Henry Fonda as a juror who tries to judge a murder case by the facts, rather than by emotion and prejudice. A film that gives us all hope that justice does exist, despite everyday evidence to the contrary.



Favourite line:
Juror #8: Perhaps you'd like to pull the switch?
Juror #3: For this kid? You bet I would!
Juror #8: I feel sorry for you... what it must feel like to want to pull the switch.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

12 Angry Men, yes of course, great choice (though unfortunately I can't help hearing the Tony Hancock pastiche of it in the back of my head at the same time!) Jack Lemmon, one of my favourite actors, though I still haven't seen this famous film. I'm usually not keen on Clint, but he seemed to become infinitely wiser with age, and this looks interesting. You've whetted my apetite for seeing both Diva and Ms Dalle's knockers!

23 August 2008 at 04:47  
Blogger Gyppo Byard said...

Diva. Another "Oh yes of course!" choice. It features an aria from, believe it or not, an offering called "La Wally" by Catalani which is rarely performed (allegeldy because of the difficulty staging the heroine's death as she throws herself into an avalanche). More prosaically, it could be because apart fropm the one decent aria the rest of the opera's unmitigated crap.

I saw 'Letters from Iwo Jima" on a plane once and was mightily impressed; but like Gadjo I had difficulty forgetting Hancock on "12 Angry Men".

24 August 2008 at 06:18  
Blogger No Good Boyo said...

Favourite Diva scene - the chap with the Oriental girlfriend buttering the baguette in his flat.

And that's not a euphemism.

PS that girlfriend - hrrrngh.

The Clint sounds worth seeing. I love Tora! Tora! Tora! too, even though I thought the title was a bit Hassidic.

25 August 2008 at 12:21  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home