Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Tuesday 9 October 2007

POLL RESULTS IN

The TEFL Graveyard Poll has now closed, with a staggering seven votes, two of which I made from different computers in a misguided attempt to get the ball rolling.

In answer to the question, “If I could teach English to anybody living or dead, my choice would be...”, the results, in reverse order, are as follows:

Mother Teresa (Albanian nun) – 0 votes (0 %) – Perhaps unsurprising this one. Selfless acts of altruism need no translation.

Marcel Marceau (French mime) – 0 votes (0%) – Given that Monsieur Marceau spent his life communicating in his own unique form of sign language, it can only be assumed that he didn’t even speak French, perhaps due to having no roof to his mouth or summat. Bit of a trick option that one.

Tabatha Cash (French liberal) – 1 vote (14%) – Although she has sadly now retired, I became an admirer of Ms Cash’s work as a socially inept adolescent. I’ve always wondered about her opinions on the future of European Union integration and whether the Maastricht Treaty was really a fair deal for all member states. There was a time when I’d have been more than willing to pump her for information on these and other issues of national sovereignty (provided there were no cameras involved), but a man can only send fan mail thrice-weekly for so many years before a reluctance to enter into dialogue becomes a restraining order.

Genghis Khan (Mongolian Club 18-30* Rep) – 2 votes (28%) – Two courageous educators elected the widely-feared oriental marauder as their number one choice. Imagine how history might have taken a different, less scorched path had a bilingual GK been able to make pacts with neighbouring nations over a cup of tea rather than just sack, burn and depredate. The Volga Bulgars may even have beaten the British to industrialisation.

David Beckham (English Club 18-30 pin-up) – 4 votes (57%) – Comment is unnecessary.

* - Club 18-30, formerly known as the Young Conservatives, is a British youth training charity that aims to promote the acquisition of life skills through study abroad programs. Their motto, unofficially attributed to ex-Tory Chancellor of the Exchequer, Norman Lamont, is “Nothing is sacred, if it's going to be a good laugh then we're in.”

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I chose Genghis Khan for precisely the reasons you stated. Plus trying to teach Beckham would be too frustrating.

10 October 2007 at 04:42  
Blogger M C Ward said...

You're as wise as you are brave.

10 October 2007 at 16:40  
Blogger The Sandpit Scullion said...

Is it too late to add a vote for ... Cliff Richards? Or wasn't he on the ballot sheet, anyway?

14 October 2007 at 16:02  
Blogger The Sandpit Scullion said...

PS: I have noticed that your grasp of the intricacies of the English language appears to be slipping; namely...

"Although now retired, I became an admirer of Ms Cash’s work as a socially inept adolescent"

Come on, now - pay attention Taffy! It reads as though YOU have retired, and that Ms Cash was a socially inept adolescent!!

Had me in stitches, though, boyo!

14 October 2007 at 16:05  
Blogger M C Ward said...

You're quite right, much as I'd like to have retired, I'm merely resting. I will make the necessary adjustments.

14 October 2007 at 19:08  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home