Notes from the TEFL Graveyard

Wistful reflections, petty glories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: The House of Usher, Brazil

I'm a flailing TEFL teacher who entered the profession over a decade ago to kill some time whilst I tried to find out what I really wanted to do. I like trying to write comedy (I once got to the semi-finals of a BBC Talent competition, ironically writing a sitcom based on TEFL), whilst trying to conquer genetically inherited procrastination... I am now based in Brazil, where I live with my wife and two chins.

Sunday 24 August 2008

WATCH WITH WARDY FREE

CRASH – Paul Haggis, 2004

A recent Oscar winner, this movie provided one of the strangest filmgoing experiences I’ve ever had. Essentially a study of racial prejudice in all its forms, I hated the first half and almost stopped watching, as it just seemed a series of depressing stories about bigoted people dissing each other. But I held on, and was glad I did. Gradually the script masterfully intertwines the disparate tales and shows each character passing through an epiphany that makes them question their own attitudes and beliefs. For a mainstream film, I thought it remarkably subtle and clever.



Favourite line:
It's the sense of touch. In any real city, you walk, you know? You brush past people, people bump into you. In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something.


AMERICAN BEAUTY – Sam Mendes, 1999

Utterly predictable, but I have to include it as one of my favourite ever films. Spielberg is said to have read the script and sent it to a fellow producer with a note, “Make this film – and don’t change a thing.” I’m sure you know the rest.



Favourite line:
"My job consists of basically masking my contempt for the assholes in charge, and, at least once a day, retiring to the men's room so I can jerk off while I fantasize about a life that doesn't so closely resemble Hell." Well, you have absolutely no interest in saving yourself.



BLUE VELVET – David Lynch, 1986

Another David Lynch piece, and the most obvious choice possible. As king of small town weird, this is his ultimate stab at disturbing just about everyone. Chilling and tense, this film grinds you down with its unrelenting oddness. Dennis Hopper, who personified the psychotic thug Frank Booth so well in this film, is said to have read the script and called Lynch to demand he be given the role, with the inimitable words, “I am Frank”. Fans of the expletive “fuck” will love this film.




Favourite line:
Here I come. You've got about one second to live buddy!



A SHOT IN THE DARK – Blake Edwards, 1964

Perhaps a childish choice to end with, but I’ve loved the Pink Panther films since I was a child, and this is the best one for me. Peter Sellers speaking with a comic French accent still gives me much pleasure, despite my sophistication. As an aside, my father once met Inspector Dreyfus actor Herbert Lom whilst summering in Swanage – he was quite charming, by all accounts.




Favourite line:
You fool! You have broken my pointing stick! I have nothing to point with now!...

2 Comments:

Blogger Gadjo Dilo said...

Yes, American Beauty was good, and Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet was quite the most repellent character I've ever seen in a film. Never seen Crash, but anything directed by somebody called "Haggis" must be worth a look. But Herbert Lom summering in Swanage??? Maybe being from land-locked Czechoslovakia he was poorly informed about seaside resorts.

25 August 2008 at 15:38  
Blogger Kevin Musgrove said...

Another interesting selection MC. I'll admit that I did completely give up on Crash (mind you, it's not in black & white so I was struggling to begin with).

4 September 2008 at 21:04  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home