Skip to main content

SCORE A TRY FOR ME, ARGENTINA

Brazilians, a popular saying goes, are descendants of Italians trying to be Americans; Argentines are descendants of Italians trying to be British. I’m unilaterally willing to grant UK citizenship to the lads in a rather effeminate blue and white after they put Les Bleus to the sword at the Stade de France yesterday in the opening tie of the 2007 Rugby World Cup.

Their win passed without event here in the Brazilian countryside, due to a confused apathy surrounding the sport of rugby union, coupled with a pandemic antipathy towards Brazil’s southern neighbours. During the last football World Cup, more fireworks were ecstatically discharged, more beer quaffed and more samba feverishly improvised after Argentina’s elimination than after all Brazilian victories put together.

If Ireland can survive the group of death with Argentina, Wales’ path to the Cup is assured. (Humour me...)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Have you been watching the world cup U-17 of soccer?

How have your teams be fairin' there mate?
M C Ward said…
Poorly, I agree. There's no hiding place...

Popular posts from this blog

NO MORE A-CUSSIN'

In an effort to rid himself of the habit of using foul language at the slightest provocation , a Facebook chum recently asked for suggestions for harmless expressions he could use in front of his Gran and her bingo clique during moments of high stress, astonishment and/or extreme disappointment. I weighed in with, " Crikey! " and, " Great Scott! " Please feel free to add your suggestions, and help to make the world a tiny bit less like a trucker's stopover in Eindhoven .

GREAT TEFL WASTERS I HAVE KNOWN - JASON

Continuing my occasional series on Great TEFL Wasters, allow me to cast my mind back to Jason, a typically chirpy Londoner I met whilst teaching in Italy. As with most London lads, he fancied himself as a bit of a player , with just fashionably long curly hair and a cocky patter that veritably flowed off the tongue. He was unique in that, during the whole time I knew him, I only ever heard him employ one adjective for a myriad of situations - the brilliantly versatile " unnatural ". When I once pointed out a rather fetching female to him in a nightclub, he whined, "Cor, strike me, that's unnatural, innit?" Another time, I invited him to stop in a bar for a coffee , to which he responded, "Coffee? Nah, I don't drink coffee, mate, it's unnatural, innit, coffee?" His profuse perspiration I'd noted on a not particularly hot day was explained away with, "Yeah, I've always sweated a lot, it's unnatural, innit?" And so it went...

I AM OFFICIALLY A SPANNER

Regular readers of this weblog, the longest resignation letter in history, may sometimes wonder, "If that M C Ward character doesn't like TEFL so much, look, why doesn't he do something about it , instead of carrying on doing it, like, and moaning about it? Know what I mean? He’s beginning to give me the right…” etc, etc. This is, in fact, a question that baffles all three of us. But I may have found an answer to this conundrum - I am officially a spanner . Last time I visited the salty shores of my island brethren I stole a book from my sister called, " The Mind Gym " - subtitle, "Wake up your mind" (Time Warner Books, London, 2005 - RRP £ 12.99). I claimed at the time that I'd been reading it and had accidentally put it into my bag, a half-truth she has kindly forgotten about. The book is classified in the Self-Development / Business category, and is packed with little reflections on How to Have Better Being a Person Skills , o...