Skip to main content

‘ALLO ‘ALLO, IT AIN’T HALF HOT MUM AND HI-DE-HI

Today was one of those rare occasions when I had a light feeling in my chest that intimated a genuine relief at being a TEFL teacher. These sentiments seem to coincide with a caffeine rush, and tend to pass quickly, so I have decided to register my glee despite the late hour.

It started with a lesson which surpassed all expectations. I had been warned that I would be giving a class in-company to one of the owners of a small rubber factory (they make rubber products - the factory is made of steel, concrete, etc) and, given that his level was, as a colleague of mine used to groan, “pond life”, I was expecting the usual struggle to maintain even the most basic level of communication for a full hour and a half whilst maintaining a suitably Business English, collared shirt air about things. I had been provided with a couple of sheets with exercises, but to my delight, the affable stick launched into an animated, if barely comprehensible, ‘Allo ‘Allo-style presentation of his “fuctory”, which makes “voolcanizéd perts for motorbeak indoostrie”, complete with a tour and free earplugs. I like it when students usurp your best-laid plans and take over the class; it brings a spontaneous, living-on-the-edge drama to proceedings that TEFL generally lacks.

The fuctory occupies an area equivalent to a small fast food concession at Bournemouth’s Dean Court football stadium – nevertheless, it took us forty-five minutes to review the shopfloor troops, who were sweltering in temperatures well into the forties amid the pungent scents of burnt and/or burning rubber, sweat and cheap aftershave. Every now and then my guide would delve into a tub of rubber products and pull one out, then stretch it until it snapped, or didn’t, according to where it was in the production process, which I admit I hadn’t fully grasped by the time we ambled back into our air-conditioned office overlooking the production line, where the dehydrated bods looked at their watches and willed their lives away for another day whilst we sipped mineral water and made polite, if largely unintelligible, chit chat.

Then it was back to the school to a class of two new students, including one Carla Morgan. Apparently her great-grandfather was of Cambrian build and ended up here by means as yet unclear. She didn’t know any Goldie Lookin Chain though, despite my impromptu medley.


What gives you light feelings in your chest? Do you know anyone who resembles an ‘Allo ‘Allo character? Looking at the above picture, which do you suspect is Welsh and which Brazilian? (They were roughly the same age when the photographs were taken.)


Comments

No Good Boyo said…
Clearly the lady on the left is a Welsh, and possibly an employee of the National Folk Museum in St Fagan, as she's displaying the crown jewels of Hywel Dda about her person. The lady on the right is a novice witch, hence the as-yet-unpointed pointed hat. I'm pleased to hear of a Morgan in Brazil - please tell her that the Cymru Rouge is keenly defending her fambly honour against that mole-naming bloke.
M C Ward said…
I did mention the Cymru Rouge, despite a lack of illustratory pamphlets, and she seemed bemused/scared. As soon as I get her bank details I'll pass them on so you can direct debit her monthly subscription.
No Good Boyo said…
Result! She pays, she gets to live. A good deal by anyone's reckoning.
Gorilla Bananas said…
"the owners of a small rubber factory"

Do Brazilian men use condoms then? I thought they were too macho for that sort of thing.
M C Ward said…
Welcome, Mr Bananas, it's nice to have a fellow tropics dweller around.

Your point is a fair one, Brazilians do tend to ride their mates as they do their motorcycles, without protection topside, as the rates of STD reflect.
I once played a role in a stage adaptation of 'Allo-'Allo. Does that help you? I bet you can't guess which part I played, either...!!
Brody C said…
Lovely poost

Popular posts from this blog

FOOLING WITH SCHOOLING

One of the commonest figures to be found within TEFL is the aspiring administrator. This is a teacher who, often drained by years of repetitive, poorly remunerated clowning around in the classroom, seeks a position managing other teachers, such as Director of Studies (aptly and attractively known as "Doss"), from which they can sit in an imaginary TEFL director’s chair smoking a cigar, bellowing, “CUT!” and enjoying not having to pull a linguistic rabbit out of a hat twelve times a day, five days a week. I include myself within this TEFL subgenre, although my past experiences of administration have left me with an odd yearning to get back into the classroom and be king of my own modest sandcastle. In 2005, whilst I was working in HR at a local factory, my Brazilian friend Bert and I decided to start our own school. I had recently managed to wriggle out of a honey trap I’d set for myself, when I offered to give a free English course to my colleagues in the factory’s Training a...

TEFL ANTHEMS VOL. I

An interesting debate over at ELT World in answer to the question, Are your students learning anything? has got me all reflective. Many rock songs are claimed by religious maniacs to include subliminal messages when played backwards or by missing every sixth word or summat, but others are more easily deciphered. As TEFL anthems go, perhaps one of the most memorably haunting has to be Dave Gilmour/Roger Waters' bitterly ironic collaboration reflecting on TEFL one-to-one classes being taught abroad , Wish You Were Here : How I wish, how I wish you were here. We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl, Year after year, Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears. Wish you were here. As TEFL mongers we often feel like we're in a fish bowl, year after year , not least because the majority of our students exhibit the retention capacities of the goldfish. After painstakingly explaining that we use the preposition to after various verbs, the ...

NO MORE A-CUSSIN'

In an effort to rid himself of the habit of using foul language at the slightest provocation , a Facebook chum recently asked for suggestions for harmless expressions he could use in front of his Gran and her bingo clique during moments of high stress, astonishment and/or extreme disappointment. I weighed in with, " Crikey! " and, " Great Scott! " Please feel free to add your suggestions, and help to make the world a tiny bit less like a trucker's stopover in Eindhoven .