Skip to main content

THE ANTI-CORRUPTION CZAR

Several people have muttered to me over recent years their regret that it wasn’t the British that colonised this part of the world, presumably because, if they had, there would be a greater emphasis given to tea, scones, cricket, alcohol abuse and the growing of decent lawns/grassed areas. Believe me I’ve offered, but it’s a big country for one man to take on, let alone me.

Whilst I lack legitimate political ambitions, if and when I am invited to form a government I do have some radical ideas to shake up local government and rid the creaking system of the endemic corruption that is sadly de rigeur. My only demand would be that I could call myself “Anti-Corruption Czar”, or something with “Czar” in it at least.

Under the current system, public life is little more than a trough into which the greediest and most self-centred elements of society sprint headlong and thrust their insatiable snouts. As local government is run on a mayoral system, continuity is almost impossible, as each new incumbent wishes to leave their mark, immediately dismantling every existing program, however brilliantly planned and executed, and replacing it with something only 50% baked, at the very most. They also habitually sack all existing staff and bring in their own team, a number of whom are always blood relations. The Mayor’s tone-deaf second cousin who once played accordion in a forró combo becomes Secretary for Culture, whilst a brother-in-law who once tiled a bathroom is unveiled as Director of Public Works, and so on.

One of the most dangerous times to drive around small towns is in the weeks following local elections, as invariably one of the new Mayor’s priorities is to muck about with the local traffic system, reversing the direction of one-way streets and installing bus lanes as if they were experimenting with the possibilities of Sim City for the first time. I’m not sure this is entirely what people voted them in for. Also, the Mayors and all their family members suddenly appear to need a fleet of expensive four-wheel drive pick-ups to cruise around in, presumably to reach the outlying districts of their constituencies where the dirt tracks are precarious, and be able to beat a hasty retreat when revolting residents start challenging them or throwing things.

Corruption assumes that there is something, a “normal” system, that gets corrupted, but malpractice has become so widespread and predictable that the corruption is the system, with sometimes surreal consequences. One such case was the Mayor of Lagoa de Velhos, in the state of Rio Grande do Norte, who bought votes in the 2004 elections by giving out free dentures. The inefficiency of the criminal justice system means that, even if perpetrators are shopped to the authorities by political opponents and charged (which is rare, as their accusers are normally just as mired in illegality themselves), seldom do they end up being punished, or even made to return their ill-gotten gains. So, if the threat of punishment isn’t a deterrent, I feel there should be a system that rewards honesty.

Imagine if Mayors were to receive a bonus, let’s say R$ 1 million, at the end of their tenure. This would depend on there being zero corruption among members of their administration during their mandate, and would be payable provided that they fulfilled 100% of the promises made in their election manifesto. This would have the added effect of ensuring that candidates would be rather more down-to-earth than currently in what they promise, and voters would be given a choice between realistic policies and not just idle dreams that never even make it off the back of the envelope where they were jotted down over a glass of pinga. Thus all Mayors would become millionaires for being honest, rather than become millionaires by robbing public funds, and their actions may actually improve the lives of the suffering millions who put their hopes in them.

As a political thinker, I’m no Karl Marx - but I flatter myself that I'm no Groucho, either.



As a political thinker, am I Groucho or Karl? Or Harpo? How would you wipe out corruption, without involving sympathetic elements of the armed forces?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ahh, corruption. Which Marx brother would run Brazil most efficiently - it's a good question! As is often the case, the answer may be the most boring one (cf. Clement Atlee). Gummo, though not the one with the funniest hair or accent, was, according to Wikipedia, a well-respected theatrical agent who rather than having contracts with clients relied on their satisfaction to ensure his continued employment. Like proper democracy, but presumably without the "perks". Groucho would have mobilised the Freedonian armed forces.
M C Ward said…
Ah yes, Gummo is widely overlooked, so much so that I hadn't even remembered him. The Marx Brothers couldn't do any worse than the current crop of dunderheaded dilettantes.
Anonymous said…
Sorry to hear of the crapness of Brazilian politicians. Didn't you used to have some very idealistic "liberation theology" catholic clergy over there? Maybe they could take over, and distribute stuff.

"Corruption Czar" sounds terrific, but kind of like "Virginity Whore"!
M C Ward said…
You're quite right - Dom Helder Câmara made the astute observation, "When you feed the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor are hungry, they call you a Communist." A nice summary of modern propaganda.
No Good Boyo said…
Mr Lutsenko, the estimable interior minister of Ukraine, has a boots-on approach to dealing with the (alleged) corruption of the God-bothering loon Mayor of Kiev. He belaboured the buffoon at a presidential secretariat meeting in January, variously described as "a slap" or "a grinding knacker-crunch", depending on one's perspective. Lutsenko sounds unapologetic, Chernovetskyy sounds like the bloke out of Bronski Beat until they drop down again.
M C Ward said…
Ruling with an iron fist is appealing, but I wonder at its long-term efficacy. Doling out the odd sharp warning pump might send a message, but I doubt anybody would take it on as a long-term career.
No Good Boyo said…
True enough. Mrs Boyo points out that any virtue bonus the state might offer would be tripled by the Mob if you do their bidding, with the added incentive of not pushing your cock through a mangle once you've retired.

She has a way with words, and graphic gestures.
M C Ward said…
As long as they remain only gestures...

Popular posts from this blog

FOOLING WITH SCHOOLING

One of the commonest figures to be found within TEFL is the aspiring administrator. This is a teacher who, often drained by years of repetitive, poorly remunerated clowning around in the classroom, seeks a position managing other teachers, such as Director of Studies (aptly and attractively known as "Doss"), from which they can sit in an imaginary TEFL director’s chair smoking a cigar, bellowing, “CUT!” and enjoying not having to pull a linguistic rabbit out of a hat twelve times a day, five days a week. I include myself within this TEFL subgenre, although my past experiences of administration have left me with an odd yearning to get back into the classroom and be king of my own modest sandcastle. In 2005, whilst I was working in HR at a local factory, my Brazilian friend Bert and I decided to start our own school. I had recently managed to wriggle out of a honey trap I’d set for myself, when I offered to give a free English course to my colleagues in the factory’s Training a...

TEFL ANTHEMS VOL. I

An interesting debate over at ELT World in answer to the question, Are your students learning anything? has got me all reflective. Many rock songs are claimed by religious maniacs to include subliminal messages when played backwards or by missing every sixth word or summat, but others are more easily deciphered. As TEFL anthems go, perhaps one of the most memorably haunting has to be Dave Gilmour/Roger Waters' bitterly ironic collaboration reflecting on TEFL one-to-one classes being taught abroad , Wish You Were Here : How I wish, how I wish you were here. We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl, Year after year, Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears. Wish you were here. As TEFL mongers we often feel like we're in a fish bowl, year after year , not least because the majority of our students exhibit the retention capacities of the goldfish. After painstakingly explaining that we use the preposition to after various verbs, the ...

I AM OFFICIALLY A TIT

Show recently extracted the wind from my sails with typically well-intentioned down-to-earthism. Armed with several diagrams and a kitchen knife , she extolled her opinion that I should concentrate on doing what I can do and stop fannying around trying to learn how to do things I can’t , in yet another feeble-minded attempt to divorce myself from TEFL. Yet again, I believe her to be right. It all started back in May, when I went to Poland with my male voice choir and on the plane to Frankfurt found myself sitting next to Jetro, one of our second tenors. I’d never really spoken to him before, but during the trip I discovered that he ran a small yet growing Internet company , an online system through which owners of used car dealerships could manage their businesses. He explained how previously he’d been something of a factotum, working around the country in various jobs and starting various businesses, until he discovered that he could neither work for somebody nor manage others –...