Skip to main content

DOG WASH HOGWASH

A new pet shop opened last Saturday not a brisk five-minute stroll from our caravan, and yesterday I set about discovering the services it offers, in particular its pet cleaning set up. I was greeted by a harassed receptionist who looked to be on the verge of a nervous breakdown, despite my being the only customer in the vicinity at the time.

“Do I have to book to have my dog washed?” I enquired, noticing by the monogram on his white coat that he was, in fact, the veterinary surgeon in chief.

“Er, yeah. It’s probably best…” he mumbled. “I’ve been a bit overwhelmed by demand,” he bleated defensively, out of nowhere, “we only opened on Saturday.”

“How much does it cost for a large mongrel?” I asked him. He consulted his price list.

“Without a Breed Defined (Jumbo)... thirty-five reais,” he responded. He opened his diary on tomorrow. The page was largely blank.

“We’ve got two booked tomorrow…” he said, his voice trailing off helplessly.

“Right…” I looked at him. He seemed lost for words.

“I’ll call you tomorrow then,” I suggested, unable to bear the tortured silence any longer.

“Yeah, call us tomorrow and we’ll see if we can fit you in,” he retorted efficiently, grateful for my forbearing.

Buggering that, when I got home I grabbed some coconut soap and stood on Moby’s lead whilst I hosed him down in the back yard. I was never going to fork out R$ 35 to clean an animal that, before you could say “Jack Russell” would be lying in his own effluent, or that of an unidentified third party – he’s a handsome beast, but his personal hygiene is nothing to write ballads about.

As I cleansed my mutt, I began to do some mental arithmetic. R$ 35 per dog – let’s suppose there are two pet hygienists working, one washing and the other drying. I reckon you could bathe at least three large mongrels an hour, maybe more smaller hounds, especially as the most popular breed around here appears to be, inexplicably, the Poodle. So that’s roughly R$ 105 per hour. As an EFL teacher, the most I’ve ever managed to earn per hour in Brazil is R$ 25. As far as I can guess, pet hygienists don’t need any particular qualifications – in fact they could be utterly witless and still make a career out of it, as long as they knew which way round to wear the apron and remembered to keep the dog’s head above the waterline at all times. Even if the two of them shared the R$ 105 per hour equally, they’d still be creaming off double what I receive – and they wouldn’t have people gazing resentfully at them all day with a look that says, “I still can’t speak English, and it’s nobody’s fault but yours.”

When I did my TEFL course, I recall that one of the teacher trainers made the observation: “If you’re entering TEFL to make money, there’s the door.” I now realize that he wasn’t indicating that it was the door to making money, but the door to get out of TEFL before it was too late.

Damn him and his confounded ambiguity!



----------------
Now playing: The Flaming Lips - Lightning Strikes The Postman
via FoxyTunes

Comments

Gadjo Dilo said…
Yes, nice one, and always fun to hear about animals - and their more ridiculous human counterparts. But what's that a picture of - your dog or a baby seal pup with an early death premonition?
No Good Boyo said…
Looks like the Great God Cthulhu in his pup stage, with adorable baby face-tentacles. Iä ftaghn!
M C Ward said…
Thanks for the canine feedback, chaps - dogs tug at the heart strings don't they? The photo does indeed look like an as yet unclubbed seal pup, but in fact I robbed it from a random Google search - who knows his/her/its identity. My altogether more manly companion, Moby, can be seen featured here.
Gadjo Dilo said…
Ahhh, now that's a dog! The other thing, I dunno; I think NGB's right in saying it's a Welsh, but beyond that I wouldn't like to commit myself.

I must read your earlier posts now I've glimpsed their titles. James Joyce was a TEFL teacher, yes, I suppose he was. Good precedent to have. But then your wife Show is Nora Barnacle - just not such a cool name :-)
M C Ward said…
His Welshity hasn't yet been established, but it gives me an idea... cross him with a passing vira lata ("turn over bins" - the delightful term for a mongrel in these parts) and call their progeny West Anglesey Ewehounds. Nobody'll ever check - I could make a fortune.
No Good Boyo said…
There's an over-funded trophy wife somewhere who'll buy it.

Popular posts from this blog

FOOLING WITH SCHOOLING

One of the commonest figures to be found within TEFL is the aspiring administrator. This is a teacher who, often drained by years of repetitive, poorly remunerated clowning around in the classroom, seeks a position managing other teachers, such as Director of Studies (aptly and attractively known as "Doss"), from which they can sit in an imaginary TEFL director’s chair smoking a cigar, bellowing, “CUT!” and enjoying not having to pull a linguistic rabbit out of a hat twelve times a day, five days a week. I include myself within this TEFL subgenre, although my past experiences of administration have left me with an odd yearning to get back into the classroom and be king of my own modest sandcastle. In 2005, whilst I was working in HR at a local factory, my Brazilian friend Bert and I decided to start our own school. I had recently managed to wriggle out of a honey trap I’d set for myself, when I offered to give a free English course to my colleagues in the factory’s Training a...

TEFL ANTHEMS VOL. I

An interesting debate over at ELT World in answer to the question, Are your students learning anything? has got me all reflective. Many rock songs are claimed by religious maniacs to include subliminal messages when played backwards or by missing every sixth word or summat, but others are more easily deciphered. As TEFL anthems go, perhaps one of the most memorably haunting has to be Dave Gilmour/Roger Waters' bitterly ironic collaboration reflecting on TEFL one-to-one classes being taught abroad , Wish You Were Here : How I wish, how I wish you were here. We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl, Year after year, Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears. Wish you were here. As TEFL mongers we often feel like we're in a fish bowl, year after year , not least because the majority of our students exhibit the retention capacities of the goldfish. After painstakingly explaining that we use the preposition to after various verbs, the ...

NO MORE A-CUSSIN'

In an effort to rid himself of the habit of using foul language at the slightest provocation , a Facebook chum recently asked for suggestions for harmless expressions he could use in front of his Gran and her bingo clique during moments of high stress, astonishment and/or extreme disappointment. I weighed in with, " Crikey! " and, " Great Scott! " Please feel free to add your suggestions, and help to make the world a tiny bit less like a trucker's stopover in Eindhoven .