Skip to main content

MY FUTURE'S IN RUBBER BALLS

I’ve had a pretty good week. Nothing great has happened, but those little frustrations that normally boil over into an unseemly ire have passed me by like water off a duck going straight over my head. This turning problems into happiness stuff looks pretty righteous to me.

I even managed to get through my eight elementary classes yesterday without feeling like somebody had wheel-clamped my heart. I would usually shuffle into the first class like a dead man walking, but after finding some inspiration from an unlikely source, I would describe my entrance as, if not a strut, certainly nearer a gambol than a lope.

English Teacher X’s Teacher Tips is a mini-site packed with useful clues as to how to survive teaching. I’ve always found his accompanying blog about his misadventures teaching English in Russia by turns hilarious, harrowing and somewhat bleak, but with his teacher tips he hits the bull right between the eyes. His advice that buying a ball is the best investment a TEFL teacher can make, for example, is pure genius.

Armed with this new recommendation, before yesterday’s class I stopped off at the local pet shop. Unfortunately they didn’t have any squeaky balls, which would have really set the classroom on fire, I have no doubt, so I bought a plain blue rubber dog sphere. Just as things were flagging in my first class, I drew the toy from my bag and suddenly there was a new light burning in the students’ eyes. “Let’s do the alphabet! A!” I cried, lobbing the ball to student P. “D!” he cried, tossing the orb to student M. It took a while to get through all the letters in a generally acceptable order, but suddenly we were alive and childlike and innocent again, back to the days when nuns rode bicycles on village greens and summer came on a lollipop stick with a joke on it…

The thing about TEFL tips is that they have to be based on the real world and not some idealised publishers’ fantasy island. Too many create activities that are great in theory, provided that you have uncompromisingly cooperative, motivated and easily-pleased students, a utopia I, personally, have yet to stumble upon.

The only blemish on an otherwise splendid week was an unexpected turn of events regarding my male voice choir’s trip to Poland. One of the baritones tried to drum up support this week for an audacious plan to have our conductor sectioned. His removal to a secure psychiatric unit would be justified, according to the baritone, due to the fact that (1) our choir hasn’t been enrolled in the Polish festival at all, (2) the sponsors of the trip have pulled out / are on the verge of pulling out, thus rendering our voyage financially unviable, and (3) the conductor owes him money.

Whether there is any truth in any of this is as yet unproven, despite tales of damning intercepted email messages, but it does add spice to the prospect of an odyssey to Eastern Europe with two screaming loons on board.

If only they could turn their problems into happiness…

Comments

El Gringo Vasco said…
perhaps teachur tips should be read once a year.

i tend to forget.
M C Ward said…
I recommend them - I stumbled across them, but there are some real nuggets amongst the silt.
Gadjo Dilo said…
This guy's good. There's some great tips there that I hope I'll never have to use....frankly, I don't know how you guys make it through a day! Reminds me of why I concentrated on science subjects at school even when I’m not actually very interested in science.
No Good Boyo said…
When a bus has dumped you tuxedoed songbirds on the outskirts of a town called Skrydzicmydz at the owling hour, just keep telling yourself "there's a book in this".

At school I concentrated on marrying a wealthy divorcee. It took a while, but all that study paid off in the end.
El Gringo Vasco said…
man, I tried that stupid ball shit alphabet reciting today with 7 to 9 year olds - total waste of time; it was great!
M C Ward said…
GD/EGV - it's all about survival, and I think X is something of a backwoods Vietnam veteran in these matters. I'm highly impressed.

NGB - I hate to disappoint you, but tuxedoed we'll not be. I hope this doesn't mean you won't be coming to cheer us on, or at least interpret for us. There's a caipirinha kit in it for you, with wooden stirring stick with a parrot on the end and everyfing.
No Good Boyo said…
That's a real inducement, but i fear whatever heavy schedule Mrs Boyo has lined up for me is bound to intervene.

Just remember that "przyszłość" is "the future" and "przeszłość" is "the past" and you can't go wrong.

Popular posts from this blog

NO MORE A-CUSSIN'

In an effort to rid himself of the habit of using foul language at the slightest provocation , a Facebook chum recently asked for suggestions for harmless expressions he could use in front of his Gran and her bingo clique during moments of high stress, astonishment and/or extreme disappointment. I weighed in with, " Crikey! " and, " Great Scott! " Please feel free to add your suggestions, and help to make the world a tiny bit less like a trucker's stopover in Eindhoven .

6 RANDOM THINGS ABOUT WARDY

The splendid Gyppo Byard has kindly requested that I write six random things about myself. I note that the adjective "interesting" didn't feature, thankfully, so here goes: According to my late father's genealogical rummaging, I am (very) distantly related to Sir Francis Drake (or Sir Walter Raleigh , I forget which); I've suffered two bouts of severe clinical depression (the last 17 years ago) and used to suffer panic attacks. I regained my fragile sanity without recourse to professional help or drugs, partly by reading Free to Be Human by David Edwards, a personal friend with whom I have shared many a beery night over the years. In fact, it may have been the beery nights that cured me, who knows?; When I was a baby I used to hum songs from the hit parade in my cot, way before I could talk, leading my father to predict that I was some kind of musical genius . Later attempts to learn the violin at primary school proved his optimism spectacularly unfounded ; De...

FOOLING WITH SCHOOLING

One of the commonest figures to be found within TEFL is the aspiring administrator. This is a teacher who, often drained by years of repetitive, poorly remunerated clowning around in the classroom, seeks a position managing other teachers, such as Director of Studies (aptly and attractively known as "Doss"), from which they can sit in an imaginary TEFL director’s chair smoking a cigar, bellowing, “CUT!” and enjoying not having to pull a linguistic rabbit out of a hat twelve times a day, five days a week. I include myself within this TEFL subgenre, although my past experiences of administration have left me with an odd yearning to get back into the classroom and be king of my own modest sandcastle. In 2005, whilst I was working in HR at a local factory, my Brazilian friend Bert and I decided to start our own school. I had recently managed to wriggle out of a honey trap I’d set for myself, when I offered to give a free English course to my colleagues in the factory’s Training a...