Skip to main content

LUDICROUS TRANSLATIONS I HAVE SEEN

Well-meaning folk know that schadenfreude, the taking of delight in others’ misfortune, is neither big nor clever – it is an invention of Germans with low self-esteem who wish to make themselves feel better. But I simply had to share what follows, due to it being the extraordinary masterwork of an apparently pinga-addled mind.

I have recently been asked by a company in São Paulo to give prospective Portuguese-English translators a mark out of ten based on a test they complete and email to the company. Normally their attempts are marred by tell-tale Brazilian mistakes - misuse of prepositions, making adjectives plural, using “of” all the time instead of the possessive apostrophe, etc. (I am exacting, the Judge Dredd of bilinguistics).

Then, one day I received the following. By the end of the first sentence I usually know whether it’s worth continuing, but this chap’s attempt took things to a whole new level. He starts, presumably soberish, making a few errors in the first few lines, then just loses it completely – it turns into the jottings of a madman. It’s the kind of text you might expect to find scrawled on the wall next to the bath in a lunatic asylum, punctuation everywhere but where it should be, the random use of capital letters, the skew-whiff syntax the grammatical equivalent of pissing in the wind.

By the final paragraph he’s clearly cracking open his second bottle of 51, throwing his future into the lap of the gods and inventing his own technical terms (or is “punseazoned” really a word?)

So, here it is. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry when I read it – there’s something deeply tragi-comic about somebody with this level of English seriously expecting to be employed as a translator.

Anyway, bottoms up!


“Prepare to know a company which 33 years have been transforming energy with high quality products. Located, at city of [city], in the northwestern zone´s São Paulo state, the [company name] take an area. Of 14 thousand square meters, being 12 thousand meters already constructed. Has today your name recognized in whole Brazil, in several countries of Latin America, Central America and Africa.

“Graces to constants investments in equipments of last generation, the [company name] is the Leader in the market of Monophasic Transformers Revolving Nuclear and Pilled up, arranging one of the most sophisticated and moderns to process of Production, besides of continuing improving of knowledge of their engineers, Technicians and collaborators to the manufacture of their products and the dedicate Ton and engaging of all team in produce products with quality.

“Like this transformers, the tension regulators, are also knower to the consumer Market like of excellent quality, of simple installation and robust construction, Could be using as much as in the city of substations, in any extremity of an electric distribution system, as much as in a entering substation for an specific Consumer.

“Also can be used utilized in radiation nets or in rings, that provides a system of detection and automatic operation and for the inverse power fluxion, having like Exclusive characteristics: the control with three profiles of independent punseazoned Need power to direct fluxion and one to the direct fluxion”


Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh, wow, I think that this guy's just invented a new creole! But that's assuming there is some syntactic regularity here. You're probably right, he's just pissed; maybe a pissed Brazilian poet, imagining that everything pouring from his pen is pure gold!
No Good Boyo said…
Perhaps he's half-man half-spambot. I'm sure I've seen that prose style in emails offering to horse up my wanger. I hope you gave him top marks and recommended him to a German-owned company.

Popular posts from this blog

FOOLING WITH SCHOOLING

One of the commonest figures to be found within TEFL is the aspiring administrator. This is a teacher who, often drained by years of repetitive, poorly remunerated clowning around in the classroom, seeks a position managing other teachers, such as Director of Studies (aptly and attractively known as "Doss"), from which they can sit in an imaginary TEFL director’s chair smoking a cigar, bellowing, “CUT!” and enjoying not having to pull a linguistic rabbit out of a hat twelve times a day, five days a week. I include myself within this TEFL subgenre, although my past experiences of administration have left me with an odd yearning to get back into the classroom and be king of my own modest sandcastle. In 2005, whilst I was working in HR at a local factory, my Brazilian friend Bert and I decided to start our own school. I had recently managed to wriggle out of a honey trap I’d set for myself, when I offered to give a free English course to my colleagues in the factory’s Training a...

TEFL ANTHEMS VOL. I

An interesting debate over at ELT World in answer to the question, Are your students learning anything? has got me all reflective. Many rock songs are claimed by religious maniacs to include subliminal messages when played backwards or by missing every sixth word or summat, but others are more easily deciphered. As TEFL anthems go, perhaps one of the most memorably haunting has to be Dave Gilmour/Roger Waters' bitterly ironic collaboration reflecting on TEFL one-to-one classes being taught abroad , Wish You Were Here : How I wish, how I wish you were here. We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl, Year after year, Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears. Wish you were here. As TEFL mongers we often feel like we're in a fish bowl, year after year , not least because the majority of our students exhibit the retention capacities of the goldfish. After painstakingly explaining that we use the preposition to after various verbs, the ...

NO MORE A-CUSSIN'

In an effort to rid himself of the habit of using foul language at the slightest provocation , a Facebook chum recently asked for suggestions for harmless expressions he could use in front of his Gran and her bingo clique during moments of high stress, astonishment and/or extreme disappointment. I weighed in with, " Crikey! " and, " Great Scott! " Please feel free to add your suggestions, and help to make the world a tiny bit less like a trucker's stopover in Eindhoven .