Skip to main content

DZIĘKUJĘ POLSKA!

We return triumphant.

After what has to be one of the most amazing foreign trips of my TEFL-riddled lifetime, I am now safely back in small-town Brazil, weak limbed with jet lag, but with several songs on my brain, several Poles in my heart, and a sharp aftertaste of Żubrówka in my throat.

It was an often tearful tour, such as when we arrived at our bed and breakfast establishment on the first night exhausted from our 14-hour journey and mustered what strength we had to sing a song for our hosts. Amid open weeping, I have to admit the emotion-charged atmosphere brought a tear to my eye, but that could have been due to the fact that I'd been supressing a bowel movement for the previous twenty-something hours.

Another highlight was singing Lauridsen's O Magnum Mysterium in a room at Malbork Castle where choirs have been performing since the fifteenth century, but what will mark me always is the reception we received from our Polish counterparts, who were the most gracious of hosts and made sure we wanted for nothing throughout our stay in their country. As I predicted in my pre-match post, our choir won over the locals with its charisma, positive energy and sense of fun, even if, as the only amateur choir performing amongst professional and university ensembles, we were a little way behind in technical terms. Having said that, we were awarded a bronze diploma in each of the three categories in which we competed in the festival, no mean feat for our first attempt in any kind of contest.

Also, I don't think I've ever laughed so much in my life, as the natural playfulness and lack of alcohol-fuelled aggression of the Brazilian is a delight to partake of, and is certainly contagious for those with whom they come into contact.

I also expect to gain a number of new private students for English classes, especially one of our troupe, who went white after a scorching Czech girl from another choir whispered a husky, "Let's go" to him at the end of festival party. "No! No!" he replied, thinking she was informing him that she was going home, which she in turn understood as a rejection of her saucy advances, and rightly stormed off. He spent the rest of the evening searching for her amongst 800 frumpy choristers, but, sadly for him, the curtain had already fallen.

Congratulations have to go to the University of the Philippines Singing Ambassadors Choir, who deservedly won every category in the festival and the prize for Best Choir. We really are not worthy.




Comments

Gadjo Dilo said…
Great that you are back, Wardy, and that you had such a good time. I'm envious - it does sound like a fun trip. I'm sure that resisting the advances of scorching Czech girls is only something to be done intentionally when you've passed the age of 90 and have a heart condition :-)
M C Ward said…
Thanks, GD. Did the train break down in the end?
Gadjo Dilo said…
No, Romanian trains never break down; they're carved out of solid blocks of cast iron and they run on farmyard manure - they're unstoppable! I've never tried the over-nighter to Krakow (for which I would have change in Hungary, and help with pushing it up the Tatra Mountains at 3 in the morning); Instead I contented myself with going every day to my new job :-(
How does one become part of Brazilian choir? Really, quite a hobby sir!
M C Ward said…
Brazilian choirs will take anyone with the stink of cachaça on their breath and a willingness to be pleasant and funloving to a professional standard.

My application is thus still pending.

Seriously though, it's the Welsh in me.

Popular posts from this blog

FOOLING WITH SCHOOLING

One of the commonest figures to be found within TEFL is the aspiring administrator. This is a teacher who, often drained by years of repetitive, poorly remunerated clowning around in the classroom, seeks a position managing other teachers, such as Director of Studies (aptly and attractively known as "Doss"), from which they can sit in an imaginary TEFL director’s chair smoking a cigar, bellowing, “CUT!” and enjoying not having to pull a linguistic rabbit out of a hat twelve times a day, five days a week. I include myself within this TEFL subgenre, although my past experiences of administration have left me with an odd yearning to get back into the classroom and be king of my own modest sandcastle. In 2005, whilst I was working in HR at a local factory, my Brazilian friend Bert and I decided to start our own school. I had recently managed to wriggle out of a honey trap I’d set for myself, when I offered to give a free English course to my colleagues in the factory’s Training a...

TEFL ANTHEMS VOL. I

An interesting debate over at ELT World in answer to the question, Are your students learning anything? has got me all reflective. Many rock songs are claimed by religious maniacs to include subliminal messages when played backwards or by missing every sixth word or summat, but others are more easily deciphered. As TEFL anthems go, perhaps one of the most memorably haunting has to be Dave Gilmour/Roger Waters' bitterly ironic collaboration reflecting on TEFL one-to-one classes being taught abroad , Wish You Were Here : How I wish, how I wish you were here. We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl, Year after year, Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears. Wish you were here. As TEFL mongers we often feel like we're in a fish bowl, year after year , not least because the majority of our students exhibit the retention capacities of the goldfish. After painstakingly explaining that we use the preposition to after various verbs, the ...

NO MORE A-CUSSIN'

In an effort to rid himself of the habit of using foul language at the slightest provocation , a Facebook chum recently asked for suggestions for harmless expressions he could use in front of his Gran and her bingo clique during moments of high stress, astonishment and/or extreme disappointment. I weighed in with, " Crikey! " and, " Great Scott! " Please feel free to add your suggestions, and help to make the world a tiny bit less like a trucker's stopover in Eindhoven .