Skip to main content

MALE VOICE QUEER

That's queer as in strange, before we get started.

There are moments when I suspect that the person who invited me to join my male voice choir wasn't a musical conductor at all, but an undercover psychiatrist from a shadowy government agency, and that all this singing is just therapy designed to keep us harmless. Such a suspicion grew on me over last weekend, when we had the pleasure of receiving our Polish friends, who organised the festival we sang at in May, into our collective bosom, as they took a detour on their way to Cabo Frio in Rio de Janeiro state to swing by our neck of the rainforest.

Firstly, they were greeted on Thursday on their whistle-stop tour by the penetrating stare of the bipolar paediatrician in our midst. Ironically for somebody who participates in a choir, he seems incapable of accepting group decisions, resolving to do everything his own way, even if it means separating three of the anxious Poles from their brethren on some madcap jaunt he's invented when all they want to do is be with their friends and rest.

On Sunday he went one better after a visit to a local vineyard, when he insisted on taking them to see the fields of grapes, almost totally indistinguishable in the gathering dusk. But the post-concert party was when things got truly unnerving.

Two of our most dangerous patients donned those big, floppy, Mad Hatter-style top hats that people wear to try to be on the telly at sports events, adorned in Polish colours. So far, so good. The air of surreality grew when, glancing over at them as I sipped my beer, I noted that both of them were quietly sobbing, one apparently having kicked the other off in some bizarre outpouring of grief at the imminent departure of our Eastern European guests. The largely middle-aged Polish choir appeared equally bewildered by their sudden emotional implosion, as they hadn't even started knocking back the local wine or quaffing the chilled lager. Everyone just wandered around making polite chit chat as if nothing overwhelmingly odd were happening. Hence my beginning to wonder if my anti-cholesterol pills are in fact strong anti-psychotics.

Don't get me wrong, our Polish visitors are very nice people, but we're not related to them or anything - we've spent about a week together in total. A mild wistfulness is all I felt on their departure, not an urge to declare a month of official mourning.

I shall miss Waclaw, however, who I am sure is Lech Walesa's older, less politicised brother. A large, if slightly musically overbearing bass, he managed to hold his side of conversations using one word repeated twenty times in what appeared to be Latin. "Do you like the banana dessert?" I asked him earnestly, as he slapped his seventh spoonful into his dish at our lunchtime churrasco, "Yes, yes," he boomed, "Maximus maximus maximus maximus..."

Comments

Gadjo Dilo said…
A culture collision of Polish and Brazilian sounds an excellent mix, and could produce perfect offspring (though, yes, I realise you're all chaps, and I didn't misunderstand "queer"!). My music teacher is a musically overbearing tenor, which I suspect is even more annoying than the bass variety.
No Good Boyo said…
It is possible to go a long way with but a few words of any given language, if your hosts are aimiable types who take ready recourse to drink. Finding yourself among fellow enthusiasts probably helps too.

A friend once interpreted for a group of Kyrgyz policemen, whom the Foreign Office had invited to Britain to learn the civilised ways of non-Communist law-enforcement. The force they visited was the West Midlands Police. My friend had little to do, as the coppers found their common interest in kicking people downstairs and shoving their heads down toilets overcome any language barrier.
I afraid to say that queer meaning strange has gone where gay meaning happy went.

How are the Poles going with the Brasilenas?

Popular posts from this blog

FOOLING WITH SCHOOLING

One of the commonest figures to be found within TEFL is the aspiring administrator. This is a teacher who, often drained by years of repetitive, poorly remunerated clowning around in the classroom, seeks a position managing other teachers, such as Director of Studies (aptly and attractively known as "Doss"), from which they can sit in an imaginary TEFL director’s chair smoking a cigar, bellowing, “CUT!” and enjoying not having to pull a linguistic rabbit out of a hat twelve times a day, five days a week. I include myself within this TEFL subgenre, although my past experiences of administration have left me with an odd yearning to get back into the classroom and be king of my own modest sandcastle. In 2005, whilst I was working in HR at a local factory, my Brazilian friend Bert and I decided to start our own school. I had recently managed to wriggle out of a honey trap I’d set for myself, when I offered to give a free English course to my colleagues in the factory’s Training a...

TEFL ANTHEMS VOL. I

An interesting debate over at ELT World in answer to the question, Are your students learning anything? has got me all reflective. Many rock songs are claimed by religious maniacs to include subliminal messages when played backwards or by missing every sixth word or summat, but others are more easily deciphered. As TEFL anthems go, perhaps one of the most memorably haunting has to be Dave Gilmour/Roger Waters' bitterly ironic collaboration reflecting on TEFL one-to-one classes being taught abroad , Wish You Were Here : How I wish, how I wish you were here. We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl, Year after year, Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears. Wish you were here. As TEFL mongers we often feel like we're in a fish bowl, year after year , not least because the majority of our students exhibit the retention capacities of the goldfish. After painstakingly explaining that we use the preposition to after various verbs, the ...

I AM OFFICIALLY A TIT

Show recently extracted the wind from my sails with typically well-intentioned down-to-earthism. Armed with several diagrams and a kitchen knife , she extolled her opinion that I should concentrate on doing what I can do and stop fannying around trying to learn how to do things I can’t , in yet another feeble-minded attempt to divorce myself from TEFL. Yet again, I believe her to be right. It all started back in May, when I went to Poland with my male voice choir and on the plane to Frankfurt found myself sitting next to Jetro, one of our second tenors. I’d never really spoken to him before, but during the trip I discovered that he ran a small yet growing Internet company , an online system through which owners of used car dealerships could manage their businesses. He explained how previously he’d been something of a factotum, working around the country in various jobs and starting various businesses, until he discovered that he could neither work for somebody nor manage others –...