Skip to main content

SOMECHANCE FILM FESTIVAL

The excellent Gadjo Dilo has come up with a festival of films that should be/should have been made. Clambering onto the bandwagon, here are my entries:

MISSISSIPPI GURNING
Hardboiled cop Gene Hackman and idealistic sidekick Willem Dafoe head to the deep south to tackle inherent ugliness in the redneck population. Hackman's unorthodox methods include intimidation and grabbing people by the clangers under tables, much to the by-the-book Dafoe's chagrin. The masked people with pointy hats turn out not to be Klu Klux Klanners but a fringe and highly dangerous band of gurning competition organisers, and webmasters at mingers.com.

FROM BEER TO MATERNITY
What really happened to Deborah Kerr after that roll on the beach with Burt Lancaster - unemployment, a council house in Wooton Bassett and liver disease brought on by drinking alcopops. Could be used in schools in teenage pregnancy prevention campaigns, if I were paid loads of money for the rights.

MY LEFT FOOT M.P.
The ultimate biopic telling the life story of sartorially-challenged ex-Labour Party leader, The Right Honorable Michael Foot. His youth, his going up to Oxford and subsequent rise to the summit of British politics, including the story behind that Remembrance Day parade when he turned up in a shabby duffle coat buttoned up in the wrong holes, and lost the following General Election.

DEBBIE DOES DIXONS
A late night treat for fans of tasteful erotica and household gadgets. Debbie gets trapped overnight by floodwater in a branch of Dixons, the low priced electricals store, after an apocalyptic breach of London's Thames Barrier, and wanders around the store in her lingerie testing the electrical goods. I imagine Dixons would be only too happy to finance it, for the positive publicity it would bring.

Comments

Gadjo Dilo said…
Inspired!! I'm enjoying these lists more than ones of real films :-) From Beer to Maternity: exactly... the sort of film they should show you when you're young but never do. A whole film about gurning should be made - though I suspect that the gurning capital of the world is not Mississippi but Lancashire (apologies to Kevin). Debbie Does Dixons - yes indeed - and I hear there's a whole industry devoted to making films with names that are derived saucily from those of other films. Michael Foot could star in a film called Michael Does Milletts.

Wooton Bassett sounds like a rather nice place to live, but I'll take your word for it.
No Good Boyo said…
Seconded. Debbie Does Dixons has been made already, I'm sure. I certainly saw something like it on Austrian cable TV once. Which I only watched for the John Updike interviews, of course.
Mrs Pouncer said…
MC! I have just been to Gadjo's and left a fulsome comment re his film festival, but now I see yours and (Gadjo don't read this) quite honestly, I laughed even harder, and felt even more inadequate. I really can't keep up with your powers of inventive hilarity. Big kiss xx
Gadjo Dilo said…
You slag. I told you he was good though didn't I.
M C Ward said…
I'm sure you're right about Debbie... There was a rumour that there was erotica made about Manchester United star Ryan Giggs called Shaving Ryan's Privates (geddit?), but it may well be apocryphal. Mrs P, thanks for your kind comments. As I was shamelessly piggy-backing on Gadjo's idea, he deserves a lot of the credit. And I mean piggy-backing in an asexual sense there.
Gadjo Dilo said…
We're getting quite luvvie-ish here aren't we - darling you were wonderful - though every word is true, don't get me wrong; but maybe we need somebody to bring us down to earth and remind us of what flawed human beings we are .... calling Mrs Boyoooo.

And the piggy-backing's fine, don't worry.
M C Ward said…
It's true, but you're just so generous, and a pleasure to write bollocks with. Lovely, lovely Gadjo. Maybe we can do the Scottish Play together one day, if our agents get their fingers out.
Gadjo Dilo said…
Ah, I've got a warm feeling coming all over me... oh, no, that's Mrs Pouncer - get off me, woman!!
Kevin Musgrove said…
Wonderful stuff. "From Beer To Maternity" should be on an endless loop on the Hallmark Channel.
Mrs Pouncer said…
Now it's Kevver's turn! What a wonderful comment - funny and apposite. (I take your grizzled head to my bosom and blow gently in your ear). xxxx
Can Bass 1 said…
And what, pray, about My ear?
Gadjo Dilo said…
Ooh, she's after Kevin now! You'd better watch this one, Kev... and Mr Can Bass. I'd probably take her back though, 'cos deep down I 'spose I still luv 'er.
Mrs Pouncer said…
Mr Can Bass is safe. He has the air of sanctity about him .... but if he would like to step behind this rood screen for a minute ....
Mrs Pouncer said…
Mr Can Bass is safe. He has the air of sanctity about him .... but if he would like to step behind this rood screen for a minute ....

Popular posts from this blog

FOOLING WITH SCHOOLING

One of the commonest figures to be found within TEFL is the aspiring administrator. This is a teacher who, often drained by years of repetitive, poorly remunerated clowning around in the classroom, seeks a position managing other teachers, such as Director of Studies (aptly and attractively known as "Doss"), from which they can sit in an imaginary TEFL director’s chair smoking a cigar, bellowing, “CUT!” and enjoying not having to pull a linguistic rabbit out of a hat twelve times a day, five days a week. I include myself within this TEFL subgenre, although my past experiences of administration have left me with an odd yearning to get back into the classroom and be king of my own modest sandcastle. In 2005, whilst I was working in HR at a local factory, my Brazilian friend Bert and I decided to start our own school. I had recently managed to wriggle out of a honey trap I’d set for myself, when I offered to give a free English course to my colleagues in the factory’s Training a...

TEFL ANTHEMS VOL. I

An interesting debate over at ELT World in answer to the question, Are your students learning anything? has got me all reflective. Many rock songs are claimed by religious maniacs to include subliminal messages when played backwards or by missing every sixth word or summat, but others are more easily deciphered. As TEFL anthems go, perhaps one of the most memorably haunting has to be Dave Gilmour/Roger Waters' bitterly ironic collaboration reflecting on TEFL one-to-one classes being taught abroad , Wish You Were Here : How I wish, how I wish you were here. We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl, Year after year, Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears. Wish you were here. As TEFL mongers we often feel like we're in a fish bowl, year after year , not least because the majority of our students exhibit the retention capacities of the goldfish. After painstakingly explaining that we use the preposition to after various verbs, the ...

NO MORE A-CUSSIN'

In an effort to rid himself of the habit of using foul language at the slightest provocation , a Facebook chum recently asked for suggestions for harmless expressions he could use in front of his Gran and her bingo clique during moments of high stress, astonishment and/or extreme disappointment. I weighed in with, " Crikey! " and, " Great Scott! " Please feel free to add your suggestions, and help to make the world a tiny bit less like a trucker's stopover in Eindhoven .