Skip to main content

I'LL SEE YOU IN COURT

Today, in order to practise the language of the green baize, I spent my morning lesson playing a game of poker with Seo Francisco and two of his managers. I cleaned the bastards out, fair and square.

It may take years of legal wrangling, but I'm determined to get what I'm entitled to. No changing the rules just because I'm a Johnny Foreigner. Things don't work like that where I come from I explained as the security guards carried me to the gate.

If anyone knows a good lawyer in São Paulo (preferably one that accepts Legal Aid cases) please break radio silence.


Comments

Gadjo Dilo said…
I know a good paulistano prison-breakout specialist. He might be a useful contact for you, just in case ;-)
No Good Boyo said…
I want to make it clear to any Brazilian goons, hoods etc out there that I do not know this MC Ward of whom you talk about him.
M C Ward said…
GD - I won't forget this - you're family, you are.

NGB - I won't forget this either. You're my wife's family, you are.
No Good Boyo said…
Does that mean I'll have to adopt Mrs Ward and your brood once you're sold to a Bolivian monkey brothel?
M C Ward said…
Ready when you are.
No Good Boyo said…
Mrs Boyo is preparing our attic room. My job is to swirl the trough water anti-clockwise in order to make our southern hemispherical relatives feel at home.
Gadjo Dilo said…
Don't worry, MC, while your missus is on the “career realignment” scheme up at Boyo's we'll spring you from the Bolivian massage parlour: my wife's due over there soon anyway as a representative of her government's Corruption Encouragement Commission.
M C Ward said…
Thanks chaps.

I could weep at your being there, and for your opening your hearts to us with such candor.

We could all appear on Oprah together. "My Family Was Adopted By A Welsh After an Unfortunate Misunderstanding In Cochabamba, And I Was Rescued By a Romanian Lady Corruption Envoy". Imagine the ratings!
No Good Boyo said…
Sounds like a Dario Fo play. I'd watch it, even though I'm in it.
Gadjo Dilo said…
I reckon we're all in it, mate. Life: A Play by Dario Fo seems one of the best descriptions of this mortal coil.

Popular posts from this blog

FOOLING WITH SCHOOLING

One of the commonest figures to be found within TEFL is the aspiring administrator. This is a teacher who, often drained by years of repetitive, poorly remunerated clowning around in the classroom, seeks a position managing other teachers, such as Director of Studies (aptly and attractively known as "Doss"), from which they can sit in an imaginary TEFL director’s chair smoking a cigar, bellowing, “CUT!” and enjoying not having to pull a linguistic rabbit out of a hat twelve times a day, five days a week. I include myself within this TEFL subgenre, although my past experiences of administration have left me with an odd yearning to get back into the classroom and be king of my own modest sandcastle. In 2005, whilst I was working in HR at a local factory, my Brazilian friend Bert and I decided to start our own school. I had recently managed to wriggle out of a honey trap I’d set for myself, when I offered to give a free English course to my colleagues in the factory’s Training a...

TEFL ANTHEMS VOL. I

An interesting debate over at ELT World in answer to the question, Are your students learning anything? has got me all reflective. Many rock songs are claimed by religious maniacs to include subliminal messages when played backwards or by missing every sixth word or summat, but others are more easily deciphered. As TEFL anthems go, perhaps one of the most memorably haunting has to be Dave Gilmour/Roger Waters' bitterly ironic collaboration reflecting on TEFL one-to-one classes being taught abroad , Wish You Were Here : How I wish, how I wish you were here. We're just two lost souls Swimming in a fish bowl, Year after year, Running over the same old ground. What have we found? The same old fears. Wish you were here. As TEFL mongers we often feel like we're in a fish bowl, year after year , not least because the majority of our students exhibit the retention capacities of the goldfish. After painstakingly explaining that we use the preposition to after various verbs, the ...

NO MORE A-CUSSIN'

In an effort to rid himself of the habit of using foul language at the slightest provocation , a Facebook chum recently asked for suggestions for harmless expressions he could use in front of his Gran and her bingo clique during moments of high stress, astonishment and/or extreme disappointment. I weighed in with, " Crikey! " and, " Great Scott! " Please feel free to add your suggestions, and help to make the world a tiny bit less like a trucker's stopover in Eindhoven .