As I glide towards 40 like a drunken, partially-naked man down a freshly polished bannister, I am resolved to get myself out of TEFL once and for all. She's a siren that has drawn me onto the rocks once too often, and if I don't send her packing with true resolve, I shall be hunched and nervous in the midst of a lengthy midlife crisis.
For this I need to concentrate, and so I have decided to leave the blogalaxy for a while to focus my efforts on regaining some self-esteem through hard labour. I've always fancied the idea of a sabbatical, something totally impossible in TEFL unless you're an eccentric millionaire just in it to chase perfumed foreigners. This time I cannot, and will not fail, according to my wife, Show.I apologise for not commenting on your blogs recently, but I'm trying to wean myself off spending hours a day reading other peoples' largely brilliant writing, which is something most people do while taking a break from work, rather than instead of work.
This is not adeus, just até mais.
Let's see how long it lasts...
Comments
I have several top secret projects on the go I'm quite excited about, so that's what I meant by a sabbatical - figurative rather than literal, etc, etc.
As for Portugal - Brazilians have done the Portuguese lingo a big favour by dropping any attempt to sound Czech.
We often have vacancies at BBC Monitoring if you fancy moving to sunny Berkshire.
As for BBC Monitoring, it sounds a hoot, but I fear my lady wife couldn't cope with life in sunny Bournemouth, let alone Reading. It would seem right up my alley, however. Can't one work online from another continent with a shakey Internet connection?
My computer crashed last Tuesday - I must say I've had a healthier existence since!! But here I am in the internet cafe, supposedly applying for jobs, but...
Anyway in the get out of TEFL debate; I managed to do two days work for a govt department this week - it was a pleasure not to have to talk the whole day!!
I hope to read something of your TEFL escape soon...